TEN

The gardens progressed well despite the weather, once the cranes had loaded everything up to the roof, she could really crack on with things. She had budgeted in some casual labour to help her, and as always she called on the local agricultural college to provide students glad to earn money whilst gaining experience. It always worked out, and this time was no different. Natasha and Peter were perfect, working like Trojans, and having enough to initiative to actually make decisions. On Friday, the final day of their week together, she wrote them glowing references, and then took them to the pub for a few celebratory drinks.

She was there a few hours later when Evelyn called her.

            “Where are you chick?”

Jess giggled, “just having my ego massaged by my two workers! Given them glowing references, and they want me to go clubbing with them, but I declined...when did I get old?”

Eve laughed, “you are the youngest old person I know if that’s true! Can you join me? Meet up somewhere? I need to tell you about my karma. It involves Martin!”

            “Bastard ex Martin? OMG! I’ll come to wherever you are NOW!”

So with a spring in her step she left the two young students to their fun.

When she walked into the pub, Jess sighed when she saw Eve, she was statuesque in her tailored suit and leg lengthening heels, and she was holding court with a bunch of equally well dressed men who were all looking at her like she was heaven sent. Jess groaned, never more aware of her steel toed work boots, and scruffy jeans, In the pub she’d left she’d looked the norm, but in this uptown place she felt out of place.

But then next to Eve that wasn’t difficult.

Spotting her, the group of men were instantly dismissed and she rushed over to her. Eve took great pleasure in gloating over the fact that the bastard ex-Martin had been dumped by his new wife for a younger model, and even greater was the fact that he had come sniffing around her. It was the epitome of all that was karma, and arms entwined they wandered in the direction of Eve’s house.

In borrowed pyjamas, Jess sat opposite Eve and they opened a bottle of wine.

            “SO you feeling ready to move on now? After Martin and all that?”

Evelyn contemplated her friend’s question for a moment, was she? “I think so; I mean I was letching after your husband not that many weeks ago.”

Jess blushed, “I’m sorry about that...” How disappointed must Eve have been? The first time she’d really liked a man since being heartbroken by that bastard Martin, she finds out that he’s secretly married to her friend, her less glamorous friend. And that directly led to the thought - why the hell would her husband prefer her to Eve? Her friend was elegant, beautiful, spirited, and so sexy. She, Jess, was plain, unglamorous, hell she’d never grown out of her tom boy phase.   It was no wonder he’d left her, no wonder he’d chosen Paula over her all those years ago.

            “Earth to Jess! Wake up madam. What the hell are you thinking? You look like you’re about to cry!”

Jess shrugged, trying to shake the sudden bad mood and the feelings of doom that threatened to overwhelm her, “just thinking that you’re probably more suited to him than me, that you’ve got more in common, you’re probably more his type!”

Eve laughed rather sarcastically, “what? What is his type? He married you because he loved you eight years ago. You have no idea what changed that, or if it’s changed what his type might be now. So don’t start putting yourself down.”