Chapter 4

For the first time my life, I got drunk that night. I didn't want to remember the night, but I did. I remember drinking glass after glass of wine. I remember not talking to Elain or Lucien that night. I remember flying drunk back to the House of Wind at four in the morning and that my shadows told me the next morning that the wedding went smoothly and no one was hurt or killed for the whole night, which is a record for the Night Court.

I spent the next week in the House of Wind. I didn't leave once. I spent most my time in the library reading books or in the kitchen eating. My shadows gave me updates on the outside world for that whole week. I had the week off flying lessons since Feyre and Rhys decided to take Nyx to the cabin and leave Amren in charge of the city for the week. Cassian and Nesta barely saw me even though we lived together and I made no attempt to contact Elain.

I was forced to leave the house once Rhys and Feyre returned. Rhys had came to the House of Wind and told me I had an hour to get ready and get myself to the river house. I didn't question why, but I could sense that he needed my assistance with something.

I used my shadows to get to the river house, since I wasn't in the mood for flying. I arrived at the river house in a whirl of shadows. "What do you want Rhys?" I greeted.
"Good morning to you to Az." Rhys greeted me.
"Is this about Nyx's flying lessons? Since you know I'm going to continue them on Tuesday." I told him.
"No Az. This is not about flying lessons, but you won't be running them anymore since I have need you for different matters." Rhys told me. I wasn't sad I wasn't teaching Nyx to fly, he was much harder to teach than usual Illyrian children or even Feyre, but I knew Rhys really wanted me to teach his son to fly.

I was still lost in the thought of not teaching Nyx to fly when Elain came down the stairs. "Hello Rhysand, Azriel." She greeted. I looked at her, remembering how my heart had shattered, and how I had mended my heart through secret vows.
"Good morning Elain," Rhys said, "I was just talking to Azriel, Feyre is at her studio."
"Ok, thank you. Az, is everything ok?" Elain asked me.
"Yes everything is fine." I responded, but then I noticed shadows twisting around me. I must have zoned out and my shadows vanished as soon as I noticed. "I must have just zoned out. I'll see you around Elain." I said to her as she walked out of the front door.

"What was that about? You never zone out Az." Rhys questioned looking concerned once he had made sure Elain had made it to the street and was definitely out of ear shot.
"I'm fine, or I will be. I'm not talking about it. Now what do you want me do to that's so important that you don't want me teaching Nyx how to fly?" I responded. I just wanted to leave this house. I know Rhys could tell I wasn't fine but he had other stuff he needs to tell me so he didn't question my lie, he knew I wouldn't tell him.
"Will you do it even once I tell you? Can you agree before you know what you have to do?" Rhys asked me.
"I'll do whatever you need me to do." I replied. I needed a distraction from Elain. I also needed to get out of this city. I didn't care what he wanted me to do. He'd given up a lot for me and my friends, like the time he spent fifty years Under the Mountain with Amarantha to keep us and this city safe. I swore to myself when I saw him again, I would always do what he asks of me.

"Thank you Az. I need to tell you, this task I not an easy or safe one, and I know I could never complete it myself. But you are the only person I know who would be capable of completing this task due to your special skill set, and I trust you." He started with a grim look on his face as if he was sending me into his worst enemy's territory. "I need you to go to the Spring Court and rescues a female Tamlin has taken in to be his bride. I have had word from Lucien who has recently visited the Spring Court that she doesn't want to marry him and has been kept against her will. She can't escape herself since Tamlin has locked her in his mansion. This female also happens to be from the Night Court and I won't tolerate Tamlin using my subjects. You only have a week to rescue her, she is to be married to Tamlin in a week." Rhys finished. I looked at him with wide eyes. He wanted me to go and rescue Tamlin's bride. I would be able to get out of this city. I also knew why Rhys was so hung up on this. He had had to rescue his mate from marrying Tamlin when she didn't want to , I remember that day, he had plan to go and get drunk at Rita's that night, but then felt his mates fear and decided to go and call in the bargain he had made with her. A few months later Tamlin locked her in his mansion and he and Mor went to rescue her. I knew he also wanted revenge on Tamlin and having his spymaster take his bride away, was a perfect method. I had nothing holding me in Velaris. I had already agreed to this mission, so I couldn't get out of it, but I wanted to go.
"When do I leave?" I asked him.