CHAPTER ELEVEN

BREAK AN ANGEL'S FALL, AND IGNORE THE DEVIL'S CALL

===

Erebus should not have been nervous about this at all.

He had lied so many times before - to his army, to Malacoda, to himself - that it should have been second nature for him. This was just going to be another lie he'd have to tell.

Gameknight999 and a small army of NPCs murdered Malacoda's wither skeletons, including Nigel, and set Angel free. An Enderman troop had been stationed outside, witnessed the whole thing, and reported back to Erebus. By then, it was too late, and the army had gone. There was nothing Erebus, or anyone else, could do.

Except there was.

Erebus had let Angel go. Angel1059, one of the Users-that-were-not-users, his nemesis, someone that could jeopardize his whole operation and render him unable to exit Minecraft - he had looked her in the eyes and let her go.

He didn't know why he had done it. There was no logical explanation as to why he had allowed an enemy of his to escape.

Once again, there was.

Angel didn't belong there. She didn't deserve to be trapped with him and Malacoda, in a world she was unfamiliar with. Her place was with Gameknight and the NPCs, trying to stop him.

Erebus knew what it felt like to be trapped. He knew all-too well the pain that came with being unable to leave a dangerous situation. Angel didn't deserve to feel that pain, she deserved to be free. In that moment, when he had looked down into Angel's eyes, contemplating what he was going to do, he hadn't seen her. He hadn't seen the mildly arrogant User-that-is-not-a-user, always equipped with a comeback at the right moment, a gleam of hope in her striking, blue-gray eyes.

He had seen himself. Lonely and afraid, weighted with the knowledge of how terrified for his life he had gotten over nothing, trapped in a hopeless partnership with a man who refused to give him a chance to prove himself, he had seen himself in her.

"Fuck..." he whispered to himself. That inferno of hatred that fueled his desire for violence, that allowed him to lose himself time and time again in battle as he mercilessly slaughtered his enemies, was burning bright, but this time, it was directed inward at himself. This wasn't anywhere near the first time that he had felt this way. He was getting so weak, ever since he had met Malacoda, ever since he had met Angel. Had he always been like this, merely suppressing this feeling to make room for his ego?

The army of monsters was up ahead, and he could see the form of Malacoda in the distance as well. With a quiet sigh, he drew his teleportation particles to himself, knowing that he wouldn't be able to do so for quite some time due to Malacoda's ability to suppress them. No matter whether his lie worked or not, the King of the Nether would be pissed at him. It never mattered what he did or did not do, Malacoda was always pissed at him.

Teleporting to the head of the army, he watched as many heads turned in his direction, including that of Malacoda.

"Welcome back, Enderman," he greeted with a scowl. "Your presence was not missed here... where have you been?"

"She's gone," was all Erebus said.

Malacoda immediately knew who Erebus was talking about, and the burning rage in his eyes grew brighter. "The User-that-is-not-a-user?" he exclaimed, rising up into the air as an ear-splitting, cat-like scream of rage escaped him. Many of the nearby monsters covered their ears, and Erebus was tempted to do the same. He stood his ground, however, refusing to move away no matter how much he wanted to. "What do you mean she's gone?!"