( prologue )

HUNGER FOR ALL | prologue

PROLOGUE
( the mentor )

IT'S FUNNY HOW people have everything and they still end up wanting more

IT'S FUNNY HOW people have everything and they still end up wanting more. Cassandra Sparrow would be a perfect example.

Reaping day was finally here, meaning that it would be her final day at the academy. The Plinth prize had been the only thing swarming inside her mind since last night.

Of course, she didn't need the Plinth prize, but she needed the validation. Cassandra was a top student. Straight A's, professor's favorite, but most importantly, the daughter of one of the richest men in the country.

Everyone knew Cassandra could buy her way into anything she's ever wanted, including how easily she could continue her life at university. But no. That wasn't enough, not to her.

One of the main reasons she wanted to win the prize was to make sure Snow does not land on top.

It was hard to understand. How could a beautiful friendship turn into something rotten and full of hatred? Power.

The Sparrows and the Snows have always been the perfect pair of families. During and before the dark days, they always helped each other. With food, clean clothes, shelter. Even after the dark days, the Sparrows still looked after the Snows.

Which Cassandra despised.

When they were kids, Cassandra and Coriolanus were inseparable. Of course, they went through everything together. Trauma was what bonded them together.

Before the dark days, their families would take them to the Capitol's arena and sometimes the zoo. Even though they were little, they still remembered every part of it.

How during the dark days, they used to compare scars before an unpleasant dinner and how they used to run around the penthouse when the candles ran out. It was the sweetest friendship of two little kids who were struggling to live through war.

They had each other.

But ever since those days ended, everything was wasted. Crassus Snow died in district twelve. Theoden Sparrow, his best friend, didn't know how he let that happen.

Theoden practically ruled the district and he let his best friend die on the spot.

He owned most of the coal minings in twelve, making him a wealthy man and have a wealthy family.

Everything changed when Crassus died. The Snows were at their downfall. Now, they could barely even afford to eat and pay their bills. Theoden always made sure to provide for the family even if it were the smallest things.

Coriolanus became distant with Cassandra ever since. He wouldn't even speak to her. She hated him for that.

By the time they stepped foot into the academy, everything else changed. They were barely even friends anymore and knowing that they were both the smartest in the academy, they ended up using it against each other.

They knew they could never tolerate each other if they wanted the same thing.

Arguing with Coriolanus became a routine for Cassandra. They despised each other and they made sure everyone knew.

Everyone in the academy knew about their little 'rivalry', including their teachers. Once, they were sent to the headmaster's office for their childish behavior of not finishing their group project together.

The teachers would do anything to have them get along, but nothing would work. Egos high up, head in the clouds, there was nothing they could to about the two.