Chapter 3: Bewilderment

Ardyn stared at Evan as though the latter had suddenly sprouted two heads.

"You're kidding me, right?" he said, frowning deeply. "I swear, if this is just a prank, it's not funny."

Evan blinked in response, looking so confused that Ardyn almost thought that the man's words were indeed genuine.

"I'm sorry, but I really don't know what you're talking about, Mister," Evan responded helplessly.

"Stop calling me Mister," Ardyn said, trying his best to stay calm. "My name is Ardyn."

Evan hesitated for a moment, then nodded. "Okay... Ardyn."

Ardyn ran a hand through his hair, frustrated. Evan seemed like a kind and gentle person, and Ardyn didn't want to just blow up on the other man. However, a million questions were currently running in his head, and he wanted them answered as soon as possible.

"Back to the topic... Where are we? I mean, where am I?" Ardyn asked, forcing himself to relax while staring straight into Evan's eyes.

"Well... um... you're near the area of Angelbay City," Evan answered slowly.

When Ardyn didn't respond and only had a confused expression on his face, Evan added, "Angelbay City. The home of the White Castle in the Silver Kingdom. You don't know this place?"

Ardyn frowned, mind spinning terribly. "What... Angel-what? Home of the White Castle... What the hell does that mean? Is that a tourist spot or something?"

"Hmm, I guess you can say it is," Evan replied thoughtfully. "Since the King and Queen live there, many people come to visit every day. Not only that, it is a beautiful city as well." He then peered at Ardyn curiously. "Did you really come here not knowing about all this?"

"I—I don't know, I—" Ardyn blinked rapidly. "Since when did my country have a King and Queen?! Did I somehow sleepwalk to Britain or something? Where the fuck am I?! Tell me the truth!" he suddenly burst out, startling Evan once again.

He was getting irritated. Even though he was a calm person most of the time, he had a short fuse whenever it came to situations like this.

Not to mention that this was starting to sound more and more like some kind of joke.

"Wh—Why?? We've always had a King and Queen, though?" Evan said, completely confused. "Where did you really come from, Ardyn?"

"Huh? I was on my way to the university for my graduation! And then — and then there was this big accident on the road and I — god...!" Feeling his legs sapped of strength, Ardyn collapsed to the ground, staring at his surroundings in disbelief. "I don't know. I don't even know anymore. Am I alive or am I dead? I thought I died..."

Evan, alarmed, crouched down and inspected Ardyn for any injuries. "You said you were in an accident? You don't seem to have any wounds on you."

"Ah, fuck, I really don't know anymore..." Ardyn looked at Evan with traces of suspicion. "This isn't some sort of prank, is it? Because if it is, I swear I'll—"

"Okay, okay, let's calm down for a moment," Evan interrupted gently. "I think you're a little rattled right now. To be honest, I am confused as well. I..." He paused. "I still have no idea what you've been talking about these past few minutes. It seems that there's some sort of disconnection here."

Ardyn took a deep breath and stared at his hands. He really looked fine. He even felt fine. What kind of dream was this? Perhaps he was just in a coma and his parents and friends were all waiting for him to wake up...

But the burning feeling on his skin... the sensation of his body being torn and incinerated, the huge explosion, and then the complete darkness that took over immediately afterwards...

Ardyn didn't know why, but he felt it deep inside.

He definitely died.

"So, I propose a reasonable solution for this puzzling situation," Evan was saying, and the sound of his voice brought Ardyn out of his trance. "I will take you to Angelbay City and accompany you there."

The words processed slowly in Ardyn's mind. "You'll take me there? Why?" He scooted away from the other man, instantly suspicious. "For what reason?"

Besides, what if he's a strange person after all? Ardyn thought to himself, the foreign atmosphere making him unconsciously pull up his defenses. He mentioned that he was here while I was unconscious...

What if he played a part in this situation I somehow got myself into?

As if reading his thoughts, Evan instantly raised his arms and shook his head. "Oh, I'm not a weird person!" he said. "I only suggested it so you can see for yourself!"

There was a hint of doubt in Ardyn's voice. "What do you mean?"

Evan looked at him, and at that moment, a flash of pity appeared in his gaze.

"So you can see what kind of world you've found yourself in," he answered simply.

There was a beat of silence.

"...What do you mean what kind of world I've found myself in?" Ardyn repeated, dumbfounded. "Don't you think you're not making any sense here?"

Evan began fumbling with his hands, seemingly nervous. "Look, it might sound strange, but... I think I have an idea about who you are. But first," he added, gaze cautious, "you'll have to see it for yourself, like I just said. You won't believe me otherwise."

Ardyn just stared at him, feeling his stomach dropping to his feet. This man's words were giving him the chills. Was he a dangerous person, after all?

"Please, I'm not a bad person," Evan said, raising his hands once again to prove his innocence. "I'm not going to force you to do something you don't want to do. If you agree, you can just follow behind me and I'll lead the way. And I don't have any weapons with me."

To show that he was telling the truth, Evan unbuttoned his cape and revealed the inside to Ardyn. Ardyn stared at him, still wary, but he visibly relaxed when he saw that Evan was wearing casual clothing and that there didn't seem to be any inner pockets and holsters anywhere on his body.

"So if you want to run away any time, you are free to do so." Evan chuckled lightly, looking a little embarrassed. "Um... then... will you trust and follow me just this once?"

Ardyn thought about it for a moment. So far, Evan didn't really seem like a bad guy; he didn't do anything when Ardyn was unconscious. He even displayed genuine concern and helplessness when Ardyn kept on rambling nonsense and asking him all sorts of questions.

Plus, there was no harm in following him to the city. He could always just ask for help if something would ever happen.

Okay. I've made up my mind, Ardyn decided.

"All right. I'll come with you."

Evan broke into a smile and nodded. "Okay. I'll go first. Just follow behind me."

Ardyn nodded back and then stood up while dusting the sand off his pants.

He just hoped that he made the right decision.