Chapter Seven: Gale Hawthorne

Chapter Seven:

Gale's POV

Warriors are not born and they are not made.

Warriors create themselves through trial and error,

Pain and suffering,

And their ability to conquer their own faults.

–Photo I saw on Facebook... XD

I can't say that looking at Cyra from across the hovercraft wasn't painful. She looked different; with her hair such a drastic shade of blonde, her pale skin having a slight pink tint....Her once bold violet eyes fading slightly, almost not as bright and captivating as they once were.

Actually, painful is probably the lightest word I could use to describe my emotions. It was much more like a mish-mosh of about fifteen different emotions. I was sitting her staring at my wife. A wife who had no memory of our lives together, our past...Not even my name. I mostly was stuck on believing that this whole idea of Cyra coming back to herself was pointless, but there was a small portion of me that didn't. That tiny sector of my brain that whispered; "You can do this... She'll come back. She will and everything will be exactly the same as it used to be."

I knew this voice was a lie.

Cyra- or Asmara, whatever you wanted to call her, was sitting next to a window; her fingers neatly clasped around each other. She seemed lost in thought, maybe day dreaming. I didn’t like seeing her in stages like this. I certainly didn’t want her turning out like Annie, Finnick’s lover.  After her Hunger Games she completely lost it. I don’t think I could ever bear Cyra going through something like that. It would be as bad as giving her a death sentence… And I guess that death sentence would apply to me as well as I hadn’t been that honest back in District Two.

I really didn’t mean to lie to her, saying that we were from the Capitol. I knew that the only way to get her onto that hovercraft was to tell her we were going to a place she knew very well. Even though she was Mind Swept, I’m sure she wasn’t stupid. It’s like a childhood rule never to ‘get into hovercrafts with people you don’t know.’ Cyra is so important to the success of this rebellion, that I knew I couldn’t risk losing her. Lying was the only get around the possible circumstance of her deciding not to get on the hovercraft with a whole bunch of people she doesn’t know… The only backup plan I had was the fact that one of guards that came with had had a tranquilizer gun, but I instructed that it was to only be used on Laius or if Cyra tried to attack us.

I missed the opportunity to shoot Laius in the head with that thing.

Anyway, I was surprised that Alia had let me be in charge of this mission in the first place. At first, she claimed that it was ‘too high security and risky for someone with such mental illness.’ Then I brought up the fact that she was allowing Cato to come and that shut her right up.

“Hawthorne!” Alia suddenly snapped, taking the pencil out from behind her ear and gesturing at Cyra. “Aren’t you going to introduce us?” I could sense the eagerness in her voice. Alia wanted Cyra back just as much as I did. Though the two of them started out in a very difficult relationship, they had bonded together and become just like sisters. It killed her to see Cyra go, and I knew a small part of her was hoping that reintroducing her and Cato might impact her memory.

“Uhhh, yeah sure!” I replied, unclicking my seatbelt and standing in the center of the craft. Cyra’s eyes immediately drifted away from out the window and she focused back on us inside of the room.