Swimming Home

A/N: I was listening to Swimming Home and I looked up the meaning of the song then BAM, the idea for this fic popped in my head. I also did a bit of research on Thai funerals because why not, you wont be seeing any of that in this fic tho. Anywayyyyys, Enjoy!

It was supposed to be a normal trip to the Brighton Senior Center. It was supposed to be a normal day of just helping and visiting nice old people. Well most of them are usually pretty nice.

Today wasn't supposed to be, well... the day that Nin died. The McGees knew her time was coming. They all knew that Nin was old and was going to die eventually Except, today wasn't supposed to be that day.

"Wait so... Grandma Nin is... gone? Like she's actually gone?" Darryl said, still in shock. When it came to certain situations, Darryl knew how to hide his feelings well. This time, however, he didn't even try to hide it. He just let the tears fall.

There was silence in the room until Bobby spoke up.

"I'm afraid so. She passed in her sleep last night. Nobody knew until this morning when one of the staff tried waking her up." Bobby explained to the family, sadness noticeably present in his voice.

The whole family froze at that. Last week when they visited, Nin was perfectly fine. Nin was perfectly healthy.

Sharon then remembered the strained relationship between her and her mom. The one that lasted years. It was only a few weeks after the McGees had moved to Brighton that she and Nin had finally made amends. She was trying to keep it together for her kids and husband. Sharon was trying so hard to keep it together but the dam finally burst after only a few minutes.

Pete embraced Sharon as she cried and he started crying as well. Usually, he'd be the first to break down. The relationship between Nin and Pete wasn't great when they first met. They did grow a little closer after Molly was born though.

Darryl silently cried in his sister's arms as she comforted him. The last time Molly had comforted him like this was 4 years ago in 4th grade when a group of kids in Darryl's class were constantly messing with him because of his Thai ancestry and his ADHD.

"It'll be okay, I promise. We'll all get through this together" Molly said as she tried to comfort him.

Darryl was in disbelief. Is she serious?! They just got the news that their grandmother was dead!

"Seriously-!" Darryl said in disbelief as he broke from the hug. "Our grandmother is dead and you aren't sad about it?!"

"Well, yeah. I mean it's not like she can't come back as a ghost! Right, Scratch?" Molly said, hoping Scratch could back her up.

Oh. OH.

Scratch froze at that. How was he going to explain that Nin might not become a ghost? How was he going to explain to Molly that people only become ghosts if they have unfinished business from when they were alive?

"Y-Yep! I mean she's probably in the Ghost World or somethin', probably going through orientation o-or lost somewhere." Scratch said trying to sound confident and failing miserably.

~ 1 HOUR LATER ~

Darryl, Sharon & Pete had finally calmed down a little before the family finally went home and settled down. Meanwhile, Scratch went to the Ghost World looking for Grandma Nin.

Scratch came back from the Ghost World with no luck. Even after searching with the Geffs, Asking the Ghost Council and of course, stopping for churros.

Oh corn. How was he going to break the news to the McGees? Nin isn't a ghost. She's moved on.

"Hey Scratch! How'd your search go? Was Grandma Nin there? Is she here now?!" Molly said, coming from the living room.