CHAPTER 4

WARNING: This chapter contains graphic descriptions of blood and death. Please skip this chapter and PM me for a summary of the chapter without these things.

POV: Aloe

A few hours ago, back at the camp...

Aloe stretched her wings and watched as the others were doing things around the camp. Ace was sharpening his daggers, Dusk and Gila were laughing about something she didn't know, Seabreeze was out hunting, Snowstar was fiddling with that magic bracelet she had, and Mist was watering some of her plants in the corner.

"Any idea when they're gonna be back?", Aloe sighed.

"They'll be back when they feel like it," Destiny replied, although it felt a bit like she was annoyed, "We aren't doing anything important."

That dragon is like the bane of my existence sometimes, Aloe thought, Maybe I could enchant– No. I'm not evil. I will not enchant other dragons.

Aloe shot a glare at Destiny, who's scales were splotched with orange. She then walked away, going back to gathering some food for the others to clear her mind. She figured Gila would need more ingredients for his signature soup. The small garden they had constructed from things they had found was good, but it wasn't enough for ten dragons. Nowhere near enough.

"Hey, Aloe!', Mist called, walking up to her cousin, "Wanna help me with the garden?"

"Why?", she questioned.

"You looked bored," Mist's expression changed to a bit of a frown.

"I guess."

They both took a few steps before Mist stopped. "Did you hear that? That rustling noise."

"No, I didn't hear anything. Are you sure you aren't imagining it?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

Before either of them could say anything else, five skywings came flying out of the trees.

"Look out!", yelled Aloe. The two of them ducked down and one of the skywings missed them by just a claw-length. Ace came flying at the skywings, swiftly and efficiently killing one of them before being outnumbered by four more. The others eventually joined the fight but they were quickly outnumbered. Ace and Seabreeze were out of sight.

...

The chains dragged across the rocky ground as Aloe, Gila, Dusk, Mist, Destiny, and Snowstar walked silently behind four skywing guards to the throne room. This would be the second time the group met Queen Emberblaze. The magnificent stone pillars of the skywing palace spiraled with gold and the walls almost shined from the amount of rubies and gold surrounding them. Aloe kept a blank expression on her face. She was not afraid of Emberblaze.

"So..", the skywing queen hissed, "These are the prophecy dragonets? Where's the seawing? And that wretched rainwing and her firescales friend?"

"Even if we knew, we wouldn't tell you," Snowstar snarked.

"Oh, but you will. Bring the tribrid."

A battered Seabreeze emerged from one of the giant side doors. The one that led to the prison.

"Seabreeze!", Mist cried in horror.

Seabreeze looked.. Horrible, to say the least. She had scratches everywhere. The wounds looked recent as blood was dripping from them, and she had burn marks on her wings.

"Wait..", Destiny said as if she had realized something, "Where is Ace?"

Emberblaze grinned evilly, not a hint of sorrow in her voice, "Oh, the nightwing/silkwing? I'm afraid he perished before you got here. He was very.. Uncooperative."

She didn't even sound like she had pitied him. She sounded like she had just received the best, most evil present ever. Like it was something amazing.

"You're lying!", screamed Destiny in denial.

"She's right," Seabreeze croaked, her voice shaking as she shivered violently, "I watched. They made me."

Seabreeze collapsed onto the ground and Aloe stared up at Queen Emberblaze in horror. Was that what was going to happen to them, too?