Venus- chapter two, Day One 1957

Chapter 2. Day One: 1957

Author's Note:

The science in the universe of these tales is not our science- it's science, Jim, but not as we know it...

Earth in this sister universe has an atmosphere and character reminiscent of old black-and-white fifties sci-fi/horror movies. Science and reality are different: space is not so vast that we can't cross it quickly- but so too may aliens! The science and technology of Sororis are always comprehensible and rarely complex; technological equipment is boringly simplistic, large and bulky and always tangible. A person may be knocked unconscious by a single punch or blow to the head (which makes scriptwriting easier!). Though the humans of Sororis live in an old-fashioned world akin to our 1950s, their technology is, in fact, superior to ours. Humans in this universe have reached Venus and begun exploring the oddities and life on the planet- this Venus has oxygen. So, too, does Mars- not a planet of red desert but a planet of vast variations of terrains and life forms. Mars gets its name from the god of war because it has a huge blood stain on its surface- an enormous area of reddish vegetation and terrain. Mars is the planet people are most interested in because it has not yet been reached, so its initial strangeness consequently has far greater mystique and allure.

Day One:

It could only be because Jane had stolen his heart that Graham Barnes had ever contemplated leaving his home town, London, for California, but by the time Heddy had been born, Graham was smitten with the grandeur of the USA and hooked on the big culture, big cars and big everything that made up the character of life in The States in the 1950s. Though the Barnes family were typical middle-class Americans, including Graham, they were an exceptionally attractive-looking crew, especially Jane, a natural blonde who somewhat resembled Marilyn Monroe. Heddy was a replica of her mother. Johnny was an excitable kid with crew-cut red hair and a most rebellious but cheeky-looking smile. All in all, they had that Hollywood-style appeal.

In their almost new, big, shiny blue Cadillac, Graham, Jane, Heddy aged eleven, and Johnny aged seven, were on the freeway headed for the new L.A. Museum- 'The Wonders of Venus'- for Graham's optimistic second interview for the post of Head of Security. The excitement inside the automobile had not waivered since they'd left home five hours before. The car's air conditioning whined softly, the road gently rumbled below, and the engine purred. All soothed the minds of the Barnes family stretched out on the big, long bench seats. Luxury had become a big part of Graham's new world in the New World. Outside, the sun burned brilliantly in a perfect cloudless blue sky and up ahead, Mum could see the distant city skyline. She waited a few minutes before she leaned her head towards the back seat and asked,

"Kids, can yer see the city yet?"

In slow motion, the kids rose from their semi-slumbers to stare silently at the L.A. skyline. Little Johnny asked, "Where's the museum?" and Dad told him it would be a while before they would be seeing the museum, to which both kids slumped back into the comfort of the Cadillac.

Thirty minutes later both kids- and both adults- were sat in the parked car staring in awe at The Museum of The Wonders of Venus. Heddy, an out-and-out Venus fanatic, spoke first,

"Please, get this job Daddy!"

"Well, I'll do my best, Honey- I can assure you of that!"

Once out of the car, both kids ran to the colossal authentic silver rocket ship displayed immediately outside the museum entrance. When they reached the base of the rocket, they stood, necks craned upwards, staring up at the sky-high spectacle sparkling in the sunlight.

"Can we see inside the rocket, Daddy- P L E A S E?" Heddy pleaded.

"You'll have to wait for the next tour Darling!" was not the answer Heddy wanted but it would have to suffice for now.

Stepping through the museum's entrance the family looked upon a huge suspended globe- a rotating model of a blue green shimmering Venus. Behind that, they could see the entrance to the latest exhibition which displayed many of the strange creatures that had, so far, been discovered on Venus. Heddy's excitement could hardly be contained- pulling dramatically at her mother's hand. Mum very quickly but jovially scolded her for her impatience.

After a few words with the receptionist, Graham was led away for his interview and his family were given free passes for everything at the museum. The arrangement was that the family would be called over the intercom when Graham had finished his interview in approximately one hour. Jane and the kids wandered through the main exhibition hall. They would have to wait until after Dad's interview was over before they could do the tour of the site. It was after what had been almost ninety minutes that the family were called to the reception area to meet Dad, where Dad, looking very unpleasantly down at the mouth, quickly took his family to one side. Without any hesitation and holding his arms out wide, Dad pulled his most glum face. He wanted to get his announcement over with immediately...

"Meet the new Head of Security!"

Needless to say, it was biggest smiles and hugs all round! Smiles, jubilation and hugs over, Heddy was quick to ask,

"When can we do the tour and go in the rocket?"

Dad again raised his arms, this time smiling. He told them, "We can go now, or we can wait until the end of the month..." To which both kids screamed, "Now! Now!" Mum calmly asked why the end of the month. Dad replied, "That's when we've been invited to see the real thing- a week's vacation on Venus..."