𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐢𝐱

❘༻༺❘

After waiting until the coast was clear, you cautiously opened the door, stepping into the hallway. With your back turned, you gently tried to close the door without making any noise. A sudden tap on your shoulder made you jump and let out a small yelp. Swiftly turning around, you placed a hand on your chest. "David," you smile. "You scared me!"

David giggled. "Sorry, y/n." He peeks behind you, eyebrows furrowing. "What were you doing in there?"

You swallow, trying to come up with a somewhat convincing lie. "I got turned around; I thought it was a bathroom," you explain, hoping it was sufficient.

"No, no," David laughs. "It's not a bathroom! It's just a dusty old closet."

You smile and giggle along with the small brunette boy. "I can see that now," you reply. David shifts his weight on both feet, fiddling with a small toy airplane in his hands. "Wow, David. That airplane is pretty cool," you say.

"Thanks," he quips, his attention now shifted to it. "My mom and dad got it for me."

"Well, that was very nice of them. It's a lovely toy." Looking down the hallway for any sight of Elizabeth or Barnabas, you don't notice how the boy fiddles with his fingers and tries to ask you something.

"Y/n —" he stops mid-sentence, causing you to glance back at him. You raise your eyebrows and tilt your head at him, non-verbally asking him to continue his thoughts. He lets out a small sigh, continuing to fiddle with the airplane. "W-Would you like to maybe..." he stops again, closing his brown eyes. "Play with me?"

A smile creeps upon your face as the boy turns red from embarrassment. "I would love nothing more," you kindly express, playfully ruffling his hair.

"Great!" he exclaims, quickly taking your hand and leading you down the stairs.

You and David had made a cozy little fort on the ground, covered by blankets and pillows. The fire from the morning was still ignited, allowing for a peaceful ambiance and warmth. Making airplane noises with your mouth, you had your airplane move through the air. "Woosh! Woosh!" You managed to construct a flimsy paper airplane, which was not as easy as you initially thought.

David makes his airplane swiftly fly downwards next to yours, giggling mischievously. "I bet I could make my airplane go faster than yours!"

"Oh yeah? Let's see you try!" You made your airplane speed up, but David was quick to catch up. He rises to a stand, taking his airplane to the pillowless sofa. He makes fast swooshing noises. "Look at it go! It's like a rocket ship!" he excitedly chirps.

You start clapping and airily laughing. "That's impressive, Commander David. But watch out, here comes my super speedy fighter jet!" You also stand up, zooming the airplane around the room, narrowly missing the furniture. 

"Careful, y/n! You almost had a crash landing on the coffee table," David jeers. 

"Whoa!" you exclaim, jerking your plane to the side. "That was a close call! But luckily, we're expert pilots," you say with a slight wink and a laugh. David laughs as he takes his airplane into the air, standing on his tiptoes. "Whoa, we have a rogue airplane!"

"Don't worry, y/n! It's just gonna a little turbulence," David says while shaking the airplane. 

"Look at you go, Commander David," you say in awe, collapsing onto the pillows on the floor. "You're up in the clouds!"

David grins as he lowers back onto the couch, no longer on his tiptoes. "We're back now!"

"And thank goodness you are," a voice comes from the right. You and David both turn your heads to find a smiling Victoria. "David, dinner is ready. Please go wash your hands," she gently says.