Excerpt #01 • no context

— Albus... — Rupert said in a low voice, his eyes wide and his feet fixed on the ground. Albus approached, his smile falling within seconds.

In the distance, the glow of the burning house at sunset attracted attention.

The first to release the wooden logs and shoot towards the house was Albus, soon followed by Rupert, both taking their guns from their pockets and wielding them.

Both boys ran as fast as they could through the tall grass of the field, jumping over rocks and stray branches along the way.

— Dad? Dad! DAD! — Albus started screaming as soon as the bush ended a few meters from the house.
Rupert emerged from the bush seconds later, freezing in front of the flames with wide eyes. At the back of the house, in the middle of the tall grass, five hooded figures stared at him. The middle figure wore a golden mask with long horns, while the others wore silver masks with small horns on top.

—Albus. — scared, Rupert approached his friend without taking his eyes off the figures. When he touched his friend's shoulder and felt him shaking, Rupert finally took his eyes off the hooded figures and looked down.

Albus was kneeling on the floor, leaning over
his father's body, sobbing hard. Rupert stared at Mr. Hickmann; his eyes were open and cloudy with pupils so dilated that they practically consumed the entire blue-gray iris and a trickle of blood ran from the corner of his mouth. Rupert's stomach felt heavy at the very similar sight of his godfather's death.

— Dad! Please! Dad, answer me! — Albus cried over his father's body, shaking his shoulders desperately.

— Al... — before he could comfort his friend, the hooded figures began to approach, wielding two wands. — Albus, we have to get out of here. — he grabbed his friend's arms, pulling him away from Mr. Hickmann's body.

— No! Rupert! My dad! My dad!

— Albus, we need to go. Now! — Rupert pulled Albus hard, running away from the house and back into the trees.

After some resistance, Albus began to follow Rupert unchallenged, seeing the hooded figures running after them.