Chapter Twenty-six - Bee Keepers

Chapter Twenty-six

Bee Keepers

At the sound of Stitch’s voice, Lincoln thought immediately of running back to the hidden stairway behind the curtain and hiding among the preserves below, but the door swung open and there was no time for escape.

Mona slid back as Stitch took two, wide steps into the narrow entry. He still hadn’t walked far enough in, however, and Kayleigh and Lincoln were just out of sight behind the open door.

“I received the books you sent,” Mona said, trying her best to keep her voice from shaking. “They were just delivered.”

“Good. Nova Reckór was insistent upon posting you as chronicler and, forgive me, but she was getting on my nerves.”

Mona found herself at a loss for words. Nova was a dear friend and the most selfless person she knew. Hearing this stranger speak about her in such a way was almost too much to bear.

Kayleigh wanted to step back and crouch down, but was afraid the man behind the door would sense her movement.

“Being new to Burnam Tau’roh, I’m finding it difficult understanding its people and customs. You seem to know the families who have long held influence here and, additionally, have much influence and respect yourself. I would consider it… a great favor if you would agree to make our new hostel on the mountain your home once it is built.”

Unable to stop herself, Mona turned and looked directly at Kayleigh and Lincoln, who immediately nodded and pointed back through the door at the expectant mayor.

“Oh, of course,” Mona stuttered, bringing her attention back to Stitch.

“I understand you have an attachment to this orchard. You would retain it, of course. I can post anyone you wish to oversee it. It’s just that I need someone I can trust to be my eyes and ears. I can trust you, M. Tarok, can I not?”

Not missing the importance of this minor exchange, Mona smiled and answered without pause, “I am here for you, Mayor Stitch.”

“Good. That is exactly what I hoped to hear. You will be there tomorrow for the meeting.”

“Yes.”

“Until then, M. Tarok.”

The door closed. No one moved until the retreating sound of hooves eventually turned to silence.

“That was crazy close,” Lincoln said.

Mona turned and walked toward them. “This might sound strange,” she said, “But part of me thinks he knew you were here. He was going to walk in, I felt it, but for some reason he just stopped. Given what you’ve told me, I get the feeling he knows we’re all caught up in something beyond our control.”

“When you were talking to him, I felt like I was standing on a cloud,” Kayleigh said, letting out a breath. “And every second that passed, we were slowly falling through.”

Mona shuddered, “You two should be off. Ben’s not expecting you, but tell him I sent you and he’ll treat you like family. It’s not far. The quickest route is to cut straight through the orchard. You’ll end up on Long Reach Road. Just keep heading west and you’ll see the sign for Tompkins Apiary. Can’t miss it. Might take you an hour there and another hour back. You’ll be back before sunset.”

“Good,” Lincoln said. “There are still a few things we need to tell you, but Rylyn should be there, too. She’s going to play an important part in all of this once the hotel is built.”

Mona considered this. “Perhaps she’ll be the one taking over here at the orchard when I’m gone.”

Kayleigh and Lincoln said nothing, but hugged the old woman and exited through the back door.