Southpaw and Seal

by : masayosi661 and purplesheep22 on AO3

In the wee hours of the morning, Mike walks straight back to the residence from the Situation Room. He sighs at the bedroom door, rubbing his temples. Then he slowly pushes the door open, hoping not to wake the other man, supposedly asleep— only he's not. He is leaning against the bedpost, with cozy orange light to his paper, when Mike steps inside.

"Ben? You still up?"

His question gets Ben's attention away from the document, as well as the pen cap between his teeth. Those blue eyes behind the reading glasses shift to him, and his smile crinkles from mouth to brows.

"Come over, Mike. These documents can wait till tomorrow morning on the plane. I didn't want to sleep yet, and they were good to kill time."

Mike knows that he was waiting. He loosens his tie, and throws it on the stool with his suit jacket. Crashing onto the bed toward the pillow, he puts his arms around the other man, who just took off his glasses and is about to set everything including the documents on the night stand. Mike puts his entire weight on him, face to Ben's shoulder. He inhales, deeply and slowly, and he sighs as he lets out his breath. There are fingers combing behind his ear. Mike shuts his eyes, the rigidity quickly drains away.

"Exhausted?"

"How on earth did you get through those eight years?"

It's more of a complaint than a question. Rather than giving his answer, Ben chuckles to it. His fingers shift to Mike's temples, rubbing gently, and he lets out a sigh. After quite a while, Mike is breathing deep and steady, close to sleep. As Ben is hesitant about asking him to lie down properly, Mike asks again in an almost uncharacteristic dull voice,

"...Ben, did you feel that you'd made the wrong call as you issued the order, or even before that?"

He turns to look at the man at his shoulder, placing a kiss on his hair, and replies shortly,

"Officially, no."

Mike snorts. He tightens his arms around Ben, and pushes, "Unofficially?"

Ben didn't reply immediately. He continues to linger along Mike's hairline, until he rushes him with a nip to his neck. Ben smiles,

"I wouldn't say yes. After all, it's not a decision between right or wrong." Looking down to meet Mike's inquiring eyes, Ben's expression turns reminiscent. "You have to make a decision either way. As long as it's necessary, I wouldn't say it's wrong. Though some might be stupid, some have loopholes, some are not really a choice... But they are all for the President to decide, and a President stands by his decision."

He smiles at Mike's slight bewilderment, and presses his lips on his frown, "Sleep. Get some rest. I believe you'd make the most appropriate one."

He gives in to Ben's nudge on his shoulder and closes his eyes. Heat diffuses to him from where they press closely together, but he fails to fall asleep.

"Ben."

"Ehmm?"

"I was right there. On the other end. With my team, holding the comm, waiting for the order."

The voice is low, and then stops. Instead, Mike listens quietly for the other man's breathing. A moment later, he feels it closer. There's a warm kiss to his mouth, and the tongue teasing between his lips, asking for invitation; and he promptly gives it away.

Ben surrounds him in the dark. Mike reaches out to hold him, humming between kisses, tired yet wanting.

"Relax. Just stay still. You can lie down."