Chapter 5 - Destiny

That night I had a strange dream.

The sound of loud footsteps shook the floor and people's screams echoed throughout the surrounding area. Everything was in chaos, but I remained sitting in a spacious room, motionless; without worrying about who came in or what they said, without even looking around or maybe even breathing.

I was deeply immersed in my dreamscape and everything around me seemed to slowly fade away. In that dream I seemed to have had a moment of happiness, but it was suddenly replaced by contempt and contemptuous words from the people around me. Something heavy pressed against my chest from the bottom of my heart and threatened to explode at any moment. I couldn't stand it anymore.

The images of the people in front of me were blurry. Even though I was drunk and barely conscious, those insidious words continued to wash over me and hit me like waves on the beach. Sometimes I reacted and other times I ignored and let it go. My feelings were all confused, almost indescribable. Now I was furious to the point of madness and wanted to shed tears of pain. The only part I could remember clearly was that I still forced myself to smile.

I blamed fate for putting me through all this.

"Khun Klao... Khun Klao..."

A voice called out, it seemed so far away. Slowly, I slipped out of the dream realm, opened my eyes, and looked at the wooden beam above my head with a blank expression.

"Chuay."

"Please wake up. It's already morning." My personal servant... I mean Klao's personal servant who was sitting next to the bed humbly woke me up. I held my head with my hands and looked out the window. The sky was still dark, but the loud crowing of the rooster made me realize that it was indeed time to wake up.

I sat on the bed and fought off the drowsiness as I tried to get my bearings. Meanwhile, Chuay prepared the toiletries. I remembered that I was dreaming about something, but as soon as I woke up the images were all distorted and blurry. All that remained was an intense sadness that tormented me deeply and I couldn't shake it off easily.

What had I dreamed? Why couldn't I remember?

"Let's run to the dock. Than Phraya ordered Khun Klao to go and make offerings to the monks today."

"OK let's go." I sighed.

Pushing away the forgotten dream, I got up, went to change into an appropriate bathing suit to get ready. Since I had arrived there I had always had to get up early, my body had already gotten used to it. In the dormitory, however, I woke up at seven forty-five to go to class at eight in the morning.

I quickly took a bath and returned home to change into the clothes intended for offering gifts to the monks as per Phraya's instructions. It no longer seemed strange to me. At first I couldn't even tie the chong kraben and Chuay even had to help me, but since I wore it every day, I got used to it and could dress myself. I felt strange if my servant had to help me all the time, because I was no longer a child. However, Chuay told me that it was common for nobles to let their servants help them dress.

"Today I'll let you go to accompany my mother. Be a good boy." Phop reminded me after breakfast as he left for work.

Even though neither I nor Phop had said anything, the news of me sneaking out and saving Khun Wanna from the bandits reached the ears of Than Phraya and Auntie (if I had to guess, I would have said it was through the word of the villagers of the village).

Phraya hadn't scolded me at all, in fact he had praised me for being a gentleman. My aunt, on the other hand, had only complained about the fact that I had gone out in the sun even though I had just recovered. Even though I had done a good deed, that didn't disprove the fact that I had disobeyed Phop's order. As a result, he told me to stay home for three days as punishment and today was the last day.