Hope was all I had left 2 - Flower Husbands AU

Got a request from @Miss101Alabama for a second part of this, thankfully I had a couple of half-baked ideas already swirling!

Yes, I know, I used characters from both seasons of Empires, but it worked for the story, so I'm not sorry >.<

(I don't know how to tag users, sorry, I'll tag you in the comments :,)

Fanart is by kishdoodles on Tumblr

- - - 

"When the law protecting hybrid freedom went out, several of us turned an old warehouse into a shelter for hybrids who didn't have homes of their own." Scott explained, gesturing at a large building as he led Jimmy closer. "It was meant to just be a place for them to get back on their feet, but that goal changed when we realized that some hybrids have never stood on their own. Several hybrids that passed through here have stayed behind to help run the place, and many others have donated generously to keep it going. With hard work and perseverance, we've turned it into a safe and stable home for hybrids that need it." 

Jimmy smiled at the pride sparkling in Scott's blue eyes. He'd clearly worked very hard, and it must have been so gratifying to see his efforts pay off. He's done so much for hybrids... for me. The siren's smile faltered as he realized just how much trouble Scott had gone to, just to help him. How was he ever going to repay the kind elf? Scott swept open the door to the shelter and bowed dramatically. "After you." He offered, a small grin tugging at his lips.

Jimmy grinned and dipped his head, playing along with the frost elf's dramatics. Thank you, kind sir. He signed, eliciting a muffled giggle from Scott. The siren stepped through the door, but the immediate noise that filled his ears made him falter. The lobby area was chock-full of people, of all shapes, sizes, and colors, hustling and bustling about their business like bees in a hive. To Jimmy, who'd lived alone in a small, quiet room for the majority of his life, it looked far too overwhelming a place to be in. 

Scott noticed the sudden panic on Jimmy's face and gently encircled his arm around Jimmy's waist, pulling him closer. "Don't worry. It gets a lot less busy further in, and I'll be here the whole way." He whispered reassuringly. Jimmy gulped, but nodded determinedly. Scott let go of Jimmy's waist, but the siren grabbed his hand before he could draw away completely. Scott gave Jimmy's hand a gentle squeeze, and they began walking.

For how crowded the room was, the pair was met with little resistance. Scott managed to weave his way through the mob of people almost effortlessly, almost as though the crowd was parting before him. Jimmy kept close, clinging to Scott's arm and keeping a wary eye on the people surrounding him. There were just so many... Jimmy had never imagined that there were this many hybrids in a single city. A flash of color caught his eye and he was distracted. It was pink. It... reminded him of... something? Weird. He didn't remember ever seeing pink while in captivity. He liked the color. It made him feel... safe. A distant memory of warmth and comfort. 

And then it vanished. The pink melted into the crowd, and then Scott led Jimmy into a smaller, much less crowded room, with multiple hallways branching off and a desk commanding attention in the center of the room. There were two people behind the desk. One was a beautiful, very buff black-haired satyr, with a silver tiara perched between their horns and wearing a fluffy, floral pink dress. The other was a small, white-haired human-looking person, dressed in green-and-purple overalls and had a giant with hat on their head. They also had an intimidating-looking battle axe and a giant scythe leaning against the desk behind them, which freaked poor Jimmy out quite a bit. But then they waved at Scott, and Scott grinned. Jimmy assumed that the frost elf knew them, so he relaxed. 

Scott patted Jimmy's hand and gestured at the pair. "Jimmy, this is Katherine and her wife Shelby." Jimmy waved shyly, which brought a soft smile to Scott's face. The frost elf nodded at the pair. "Hi, Katherine, Shelby. This is Jimmy. Is there a room open for him to stay?" The satyr, who Jimmy now knew was Katherine, smiled at him kindly. "Of course! Hi Jimmy! It's lovely to meet you! I think Room 143 is open, if you'll follow me..." Katherine led the way down a long hallway, passing and greeting various hybrids along the way.