Prologue - THE BAR

The BAR is not like any other place.

Its existence is beyond what anyone could ever comprehend. Not everyone can enter the BAR and no exclusive privileged access could bypass the entrance, not even the exit. However, once you have entered the BAR, there is no other way out but the door instructed by 'yours truly', the Keeper.

So, what is the BAR for?

The BAR is only reserved for special cases. Nevertheless, no matter what stage of life you are in today, the time will come for you to enter the BAR so we can meet face-to-face.

My name is Zenith, the owner and operator of the BAR but the higher-ups call me the Keeper. My job is to entertain those who have passed on earth who were led to the BAR which is the resting point between life and the afterlife.

"No... that cannot be true. I am still alive. There is no way I am dead. See? I can still touch these things."

I looked at my new guest with a straight face but the seconds she glanced at my side to convince me with her statement, I tried to give her a small empathetic smile as I placed my hand on top of hers.

"I know it is hard for you to accept this fact but it is the hard truth. Let me show you this." I motioned my hand to the big screen that suddenly appeared in front of us in the form of a hologram.

It might have been hard for a mortal to grasp and even accept their death but they have no choice but to face it no matter what. If they could witness their death, it might be a lot easier for them to recognize the hard truth and move on to the next chapter of their lives, the afterlife.

"This is not true... Where is the camera? This is just a prank right?"

Instead of succumbing to her denial, I just gave her an apologetic look as I lowered my head.

"How could you say that I am dead?! Didn't you know how powerful I am?"

I looked at her with disbelief. She pushed me with all her might as if her aggression would change anything.

"I believe you meant 'was', Madame. Before anything, I wish to inform you that the BAR does not care about your title or titles, power, wealth, or anything that might identify your status as you did on earth. As you can see, there is nothing you can do to persuade me otherwise."

That is right. No matter how rich you are or how high your status might have been when you were still alive, it does not matter at all. Naked you came and naked you shall return.

Is it not the reality of life?

Don't we all know it, so why act surprised?

To be honest, I have already witnessed so many deaths and my ears were already bleeding from all the rants of the souls who cannot accept their fate. But what else can I do?

It is my job to listen to them and make sure that they can move on with their life on earth so they can ascend to the afterlife that awaits them.

"I see that you are still here, Madame. Do you have anything more to say?"

She looked at me with tears welling up in her eyes as she mouthed the words that I had already heard of so many times, "Can't I really have one more chance?"

She might have appeared stern before but I know it for sure. Just like all of my previous guests, she is just trying to convince herself that there is still a way out of this situation.

"Promise-no, I swear, I will give you anything-everything. Do you need money, assets, power, title? Anything, name it. I have it. Just please, let me live... Please."