Chapter 4

Shit

Shit.

That was the first word that came to mind when Eleanor locked eyes with the devastatingly handsome man in front of her. She felt as if someone had just punched her in the chest, her heart feeling bare to the elements as she got lost in his golden eyes. So lost that she almost dropped the illusion she surrounded herself with. Thankfully, to those listening it would've just sounded like a stuttering heart beat which her heart would have been doing if it could, in fact, beat.

She'd only heard stories about them before, vampires' mates, and she never believed in them until this moment. Eleanor was suddenly reminded of how pushy Alice had been about getting her to meet her father, making her wonder how the girl possibly could have known. Unless...

Unless this was all just a trap to get her to drop her guard and as soon as she did they would kill her and Cal. No, she couldn't let that happen. She wouldn't.

"I-" she took a step back, hardening her features. "I'm actually all done for the night, I'll send another waitress over."

She took one more deep breath, savoring the comforting smell that invaded her nose one last time before turning on her heel and leaving the diner. Eleanor mentally scolded herself for the moment of weakness, for almost breaking the vow she'd made to herself long ago.

That she would never let herself trust or care about anyone other than her son again.

:::

The Beckett Household, 14 years ago

Eleanor let out a scream as she pounded against the door, not even her newborn vampire strength being enough to break through the reinforced steel. Dents littered the small room from wall to wall, deep scratches accompanying them.

"LET ME OUT!" her screams did nothing but echo, making the woman cringe and cover her ears.

Spiderwebbing cracks ran across her body from where she'd hurt herself trying to escape, new ones forming as she pressed her palms into the sides of her head too hard.

"Please..." her voice grew weaker now, both from hunger and sadness. "Please, I promise I won't hurt anyone. Just let me out..."

A sob wracked her body, ending in a frustrated scream as her face stayed cold and dry. A constant reminder of what had happened, of what she now was.

Her head whipped around quickly at the sound of a door opening, dread and hope filling her as her brother stepped in.

Was he there to save her or kill her?

She was a monster now, after all, even if she hadn't chosen to be. It was the main purpose of the Beckett family, to kill monsters. To keep that purpose going, to keep the honor of their family intact, Eleanor had to die.