Chapter 2

Faethe strolled up to the gates and stopped just short of the exit, her eyes darting between each of the men standing in her way.  Already, she could see the twisted amusement glinting within the eyes of the guards as two of them sauntered up to her like they owned the place. Their chests puffed out as if they were attempting to make themselves bigger than what they already were, military grade assault rifles held in their hands used as an intimidation factor, hoping that it would work on her. It was something that Faethe has dealt with quite frequently, and she was getting extremely tired of them trying to intimidate her at every turn. 

"I don't know if we should, especially as often as you've been going out as of late." 

A brawny man with more muscle mass than absolutely necessary approached her with a smaller man, only the shorter of the two had just about as much body mass as his buddy did, making him look like a bulked up monkey. 

"Yeah, you should really think about taking a break. Relax for the day and enjoy yourself." 

"Let me guess, you two want me to spend the entire day relaxing with you? Sorry boys, it ain't going to happen." 

Faethe reached up and patted both males on the shoulder, adding the half-assed apology that she had already given them. She had no plans on keeping these two company when she could be outside the wall where she could resign herself to anything that came her way and find the treasures that managed to hide themselves within the world. 

As she attempted to push herself passed the two men in her way so she could leave and get outside the gates, her scavenging trip was quickly interrupted again and prolonged against her will. She was beginning to realize it wasn't going to be that easy to get out, not when her words had come to insult two men standing in her way like a hulking wall of muscles. 

"Whoa, wait a moment. Where do you get off talking to us like that?" 

The bigger of the two men snagged her wrist as if he had all the authority in the world, yanking Faethe back into her original spot and to a direct halt. It was so hard, she thought the guy was going to rip her arm out of the socket and she'd get stuck at home doing nothing while healing. 

After stumbling back and regaining her footing, Faethe turned her ice blue gaze onto the tightening gasp upon her wrist. She held back from wincing, not wanting to give these men any pleasure in showing any form of weakness in front of them. She knew the moment she did so, the two burley soldiers would take advantage of that show of weakness and she refused to let that happen to her. . . ever.

"I think you owe us since we risk our lives protecting this wall. If it wasn't for us, those things out there could be in here wreaking havoc on everyone inside. If not that, you could be out there living with those things without the safety we offer everyone." 

"Well, while you're here protecting us -and I am grateful- I'm out there searching for anything that could be of use for us in here. Now, if you'll let go of me and let me through, I'll be on my way." 

Faethe tried to stay calm because she had dealt with many men like these two militants throughout her unnaturally long life. However, she had never had fear and anxiety take grasp of her like it had in that moment. The larger of the two men tugged her forward, causing her to stumble right up against his chest and into his arms. His hold was restricting and like a vice wrapped around her, making it absolutely impossible for her to wiggle free from his hold. She could hear the smaller one now behind her, stepping closer and minimizing any space she might have had to attempt an escape from her captor's grasp. 

Her struggle began, wiggling and twisting within the soldier's hulking arms. Frustration beginning to grow within her, mingling with the anxiety that already took hold of her almost instantly. Panic swirled within her sunlit blue orbs despite her trying not to show the soldier he was beginning to frighten her in every way he possibly could. There was nothing more terrifying than being caught and used by someone for their own amusement or gain, which was exactly what these two men were doing as she felt the smaller man's bulking mass press against her back and his hands come to rest upon her hips.