Chapter 7- Hero

Hear Me Now- Chapter 7.

By:Iheartnyy25

I knew she would just keep running away and never look back. So I did follow her. I made sure I could see her faded purple jacket under every streetlight as I followed quietly on the sidewalk. Her chocolate brown hair floated behind her in the wind. For someone who had nothing, no money, no home, she sure was beautiful. Each step she took was graceful and elegant. I was kind of glad I chose to follow her- she was the little speck of beauty I could find in this destroyed town.

I checked my watch again. I'd been following her for at least twenty minutes. When was she going to stop? Where was she going? Eventually the city streets lessened and more fields and pastures came in to view. I followed her across a set of railroad tracks and along a rotting wooden fence. When she came up to an old, red farmhouse, she stopped. She waited a minute, frozen, as if listening for someone, something. She glanced around, but never back in my direction. If I she saw me would I scare her? I was afraid to though. I really didn't want to seem like a creeper. She just seems different from any other girl I've seen. And even with her old clothes and messy hair, I think she's absolutely beautiful. I wonder if she knows that. I sure hope so. Maybe I'm being a little too repetitive here, but I've known so many people who hurt themselves and starve themselves, just because they don't think they're good or pretty enough. I didn't used to care, not back when I had a better life. Back when I had it all, I used to think they were right to do that; that they should risk their own lives just to be good enough for me and my friends. But after all I've gone through; it hurts me to see people like that. Everyone (okay, I'm only talking majority. Some people are just out of the question) is beautiful in some way. If only they could see it. They have food to eat and they choose not to, while me and so many other people are out here starving.

I walked up a little closer to the barn and surveyed it. There was a window up near the top, and a big door that was falling off its hinges. The paint was chipping and the wood splintering. There was a stack of hay that went up fairly high in front of the barn too. Around there were few other barns, mostly fields with the same brown fence separating them. A few even had horses in them, nibbling at the dry, dying grass. The moon was out, and a few trees back behind the barn eventually became a forest. I glanced over the barn again. Maybe I could climb it and look in the window...

I reached the top in a few minutes, being as quiet as I could and managing not to fall. I craned my neck so I could just barely see into the barn. In the small stream of moonlight that shimmered down into the dark, I could see her soft eyes glinting with tears. I wish I could just burst in there and wipe them away, kiss away all her pain. This girl could be just as broken as me. No one has ever been there for me when I needed it. Maybe it could make a difference if I could be there for her. I sighed. I needed to get home. I took one last look through the window before starting down...

At the edge of the fence I glanced back. If there was no one here, why didn't she just stay here? Well, I guess there isn't any food or work, but it still seems so much more pleasant away from all the noise we live in. Away from the gunshots, the muggers, the drug dealers. At least here it might be safe.

I made a decision, and whispered it, hoping that one day I could talk to her long enough to say it to her face. "One of these days, Ashley, I'll find out what's wrong. One of these days I'll be there for you. Even if I don't know you. All I want to do is prove to you that life can be good. I'll be you're hero one day. You just wait and see." Someday I want to make the difference to somebody, the difference that no one cared enough to make for me.