Chapter 1 - Preview of Edited Version

"William.. I am only going to say this once, so listen the fuck up," I sneered into the phone as I walked down New York City's busy street.

"O-ok, sir," I heard him gulp, and I rolled my eyes.

"You are responsible for not bringing the documents to my office when I asked you last week. You are responsible for my stocks going up and down for no reason at all. I need you to put the fucking files in my office like yesterday fucking fast. And if this company has any more faults because of your carelessness, I will ruin you." Before he was able to respond, I terminated the call. I've been meaning to fire him sooner or later, but second chances keep trying to invade my brain. Being 29 and owning the country's largest and most successful enterprise, there was no room for mistakes.

My company, KR Inc., stands as a testament to my dedication and has been thriving since I started it. Earning my Bachelor's degree while still in high school, I was ahead in all my classes. I had no time for friends or partying, nor did I want to be involved. I've had one friend throughout my childhood. Blaine Porter. For the life of me, I still don't know why I keep him around.

He also completed college in high school, and we went to the top together. I simply went further than he did. Speaking of the devil, I looked down at my phone to see he was calling me. Picking it up, I held it to my ear.

"Blaine, what do you want?" I asked, irritated as I walked across the street. A few people recognized me and decided to move out of my way.

"Kiki!! How are you, my friend?" I rolled my eyes.

"It's Killian, and I'm doing fine. What do you want?"

"Awe.. is someone a little pissed that they didn't get laid last night?"

"You know I don't do those degrading activities anymore," I replied, and he laughed.

"I'm just saying. Would be nice to get a little pussy now and then."

"Again, Blaine, what do you want?"

"Just wanted to talk to my bestie," His bestie. Right. I rolled my eyes at his antics.

"Don't you have a company to run?" He went silent for a second. Almost as if a switch went off, he spoke rapidly.

"Shit, you're right! Gotta go!!" He ended the call, and I shook my head—typical Blaine.

I entered a coffee shop and got in line, where three people were waiting. A couple were ordering, and a lady was behind them. I could feel the stares of everyone in the room, but I didn't pay them any attention. I looked down at my watch to check the time—11:38 AM. I still had a few minutes before I needed to get back to the office. As I looked at my watch, I saw a little girl jumping up and down in my peripherals as her curls flew through the air. I hadn't even noticed that she was in front of me. I put my hands in my pockets and watched her sing softly.

"I'm in love with the shape of you. We push and pull like a magnet do," I smirked as she continued to hum the rest, which she most likely didn't know. I assumed she was the daughter of the woman who was now ordering since the couple had finished. When the woman finished, I was expecting the little girl to go with her, but she went the opposite way from where the woman had gone. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked back to the counter.

Before I was able to take one step, the sound of a chair scraping went through the room. I looked over to see her pushing a chair with a look of determination. When she reached the counter, she hopped onto the chair and stood as she held onto the counter.

"Hi. Can I get a small vanilla latte with no ice, please?" I tilted my head as I watched her order.

"Okay, that will be $4.12, sweetheart." She pulled a few dollars out of her pocket, and I looked around, almost in disbelief.