Chapter 4 - Cant stop thinking about you...

The day after Demi left, the grind started again for another week of work at the Garage. Lily wasn't feeling herself. She couldn't shake the memories of their time together, the laughter, the tears, the fights. It was like a movie replaying in her head over and over again. She tried to focus on the cars, on the job at hand, but her mind kept wandering back to the past. Her best friend and coworker, Gary, noticed something was off. He had been her rock, her support system for as long as they had worked together.

He pulled her aside, asking if she was okay. Lily tried to put on a brave face, to brush it off, but she couldn't lie to him. She broke down, tears streaming down her face, as she told him how much she missed Demi, how much she wished things could go back to how they were before. Gary listened, nodding his head, offering words of comfort and reassurance. He knew how it felt to have someone living on the other side of the world.

Lily sat there for a while, just talking, reminiscing about the good times she shared with Demi. Gary listened intently, offering up his own memories and perspectives as well. Eventually, they both realized that they had to get back to work, but the weight of their emotions didn't just disappear. Gary gave Lily a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder before walking away, promising to check in on her later. As Lily wiped the tears from her face, she took a deep breath and tried to focus on the task at hand.

The rest of the day dragged on, and Lily found herself constantly thinking about Demi. She tried to distract herself by listening to their favorite songs, looking at old photos, but nothing seemed to help. The longing she felt was almost unbearable. As the sun began to set, she knew that she needed to find a way to cope with the distance between them.

On the other side of the world, Demi sat in her Lonely Apartment, feeling the same way. She had never felt this way about a friend, only family. Maybe it was because they had grown so close over the year. She wanted to go back to being 17 for just one day to have fun with Lily again. She thought about calling her, but the time difference was too great.

Lily finally finished her shift and walked out of the garage into the cool night air. She didn't feel like going home just yet, so she decided to take a walk along the beach. The sound of the waves crashing against the shore was oddly soothing, and she found herself feeling a little better. As she walked, she thought about all the memories she and Demi had made here. When they were 18, they had spent countless nights camping on the beach, roasting marshmallows and telling stories. They had gone for long walks, discussing their dreams and fears.

The memories were bittersweet, but at least they reminded her that she hadn't imagined the connection they had shared. Maybe, just maybe, someday soon they could find a way to be together again. For now, she would have to content herself with the memories and the hope that the distance wouldn't be too great.

As Lily walked along the beach, she found herself drawn to a particular spot. It was here that she and Demi had taken their first selfie together when they were 18. They had been so young and carefree, laughing hysterically as they took turns snapping pictures of each other. Now, looking at the photo, Lily couldn't help but feel a stab of longing. There was something about Demi's smile, the way she looked at the camera, that made Lily's heart skip a beat. She realized then and there that she had a crush on her best friend.

The realization didn't come as a surprise, per se. Lily had always thought Demi was beautiful and charismatic, but she had always chalked it up to platonic admiration. It was then that she had started to question her feelings. Now, standing in front of the old photo, Lily knew the truth. She had always been in love with Demi.

The thought both thrilled and terrified her. On the one hand, she couldn't imagine ever losing Demi as a friend. They had been through so much together, and Lily couldn't fathom the idea of not having her by her side, whether that's in person or on a screen. On the other hand, she was afraid of ruining their friendship because Demi said she was straight.