𝐈𝐈. accidentally vaporizing a pre-algebra teacher

CHAPTER TWO ——
ACCIDENTALLY VAPORIZING A
PRE-ALGEBRA TEACHER !

┊͙ 📝 ˖ . *. ⋆

( "survival of the fittest,
jackson." )

THE CLASS GATHERED ON THE FRONT STEPS OF THE MUSEUM.

Overhead, a huge storm was brewing, with clouds blacker than Percy had ever seen over the city. The weather all across New York State had been weird since Christmas. There had been massive snow storms, flooding, and wildfires from lightning strikes.

Though nobody but Percy seemed to notice the incoming storm. Some of the guys were pelting pigeons with Lunchables crackers. Nancy Bobofit was trying to pickpocket something from a lady's purse, and, of course, Mrs. Dodds wasn't seeing a thing.

Grover and Percy sat on the edge of the fountain, away from the others. They thought that maybe if they were slightly separated, everybody wouldn't know they were from that school the school for loser freaks who couldn't make it elsewhere.

Percy saw Parker sitting alone on the very last step of the staircase, her back facing the rest of the students, giving him a clear view of her scribbling in her sketchbook. She had headphones that connected to a small MP3 player. If Percy listened carefully and could hear the bass of whatever song she was blasting in her ears. He was surprised she hadn't gone deaf already. 

Percy guessed he'd been watching her weird antics for a little too long because when Parker looked up, she offered him a nasty look.

He was surprised Parker didn't challenge him to a who-can-draw-Grover-better-competition or something. Parker got on Percy's nerves almost as much as Nancy. If she was popular and wasn't a loner like himself, Percy would probably hate her more. 

He had heard people at Yancy talk about how they're scared of her. Percy didn't blame them— the girl had this sort of cold, dark aura that just made people want to back away. Usually, everyone steered clear of her besides the occasional throw of insults. 

Everyone except for Grover.

Percy hated how Parker always found a way to one-up him— or anyone else. Like in the museum, he knew the answer to Mr. Brunner's question. He knew the myth about Kronos eating his kids, but he didn't even have time to think before Parker was spewing a whole novel to the class.

It was like she always had something to prove. Like she needed to show everybody she was better than them when really, Percy thought she was just as bad as himself.

In reality, Parker just wanted to prove that she was smart. After being thrown around schools and constantly being treated less than others, she felt the need to make it known that she had more than a salty attitude. That she was intelligent.

Percy supposed he must have had an angry expression on his face since Grover spoke up beside him. "It wasn't that embarrassing. If anything it just made her look like a know-it-all." He referred to what happened inside the museum.

"Parker is a know-it-all. She'd kiss Mr. Brunner's butt if he asked her to." Percy said, not even trying to hide his annoyance. He made sure to not speak too loud, as Parker sat a few feet away... Though Percy doubted she could hear anything over the deafening music in her headphones.

"I think she just looks up to him. Her parents both died, you know." Grover shrugged.

"Do you have a crush on her or something?" Percy asked. "You're always defending her even though she probably couldn't care less about your existence... no offence."