Chapter 83 : Reminiscing

I wake up drenched in sweat, my heartbeat erratic and my hair stuck to my forehead as my eyes search the dark room frantically. 

Thunder cracks and the windows shake with fear just like I do. Another nightmare. I press my palm to my chest, trying to calm down my heart and breathe deeply a few times.

Swinging my legs from the bed and onto the floor, I stand up only for my knees to buckle as pain hits me like a truck. I feel so sore, my legs shaking as I try to stand up again and pad over to the door slowly, opening it and looking out cautiously.

The hallway is dark, and so is the rest of the house as I walk over to my room carefully and turn on the lights. Emptiness greets me, an eerie silence taking hold as emotions clog my throat when my eyes fall on the unmade bed, the sheets and pillows scattered just like I had left it earlier.

I force my eyes away and pick up a pillow from the floor, holding back the tears that threaten to spill out as I pull off the dirty sheets and change the covers, a sob breaking past my lips.

I fall to the floor as a wave of dizziness washes over me and cry, clutching the sheet in my hand and bringing my knees closer to my chest, I sob into the emptiness around me.

I vaguely hear the creaking of a door and heavy footsteps nearing me slowly. I look down at black boots, raising my gaze up to black jeans, a plain white button down, the first two buttons left open and a black lather jacket on top.

My eyes move over a lightly stubbled jaw, sharp features and striking brown-grey eyes.

"Thea." He whispers and I immediately look away, staring at the cold marble floor under me instead.

"Why are you here?" I whisper, hating the way my voice cracks when he sighs, crouching down to my level and pushing strands of hair away from my face.

"Because you need me." He says softly and I scoff, moving my face away from him.

"I don't need you. Leave." I say without looking at him when he sighs heavily.

"Come on, get up from the floor or you'll get sick." He tells me but I ignore him and he repeats it again.

"Thea, get off the floor. Please." His voice is gentle, his tone full of worry when I gulp, still not daring to look up at him.

"I-I can't." I croak out and close my eyes in shame but hear no retorts from him. My eyes snap open when I feel myself being lifted off the gound and I immediately hold onto him as he places me gently on the bed.

"It's alright." He tells me and I look at him with narrowed eyes when he walks into my closet and comes back with one of my silky pajamas and shirt, passing them to me and leaving the room wordlessly.

I watch surprised as the door closes behind him when he leaves the room and my mind races with endless thoughts as I take off the bath gown on me and put the dry clothes on, combing my hair and pulling it into a braid.

I settle back onto the bed, staring off into space when the door opens again, momentarily scaring me when the man comes into my view again and carries a tray inside with him.

"Drink this, and eat these medicines or you'll get sick." He says and puts the tray on my lap, pulling the covers over my legs and placing pillows behind my back to support me.

I watch in a daze as he makes sure I'm comfortable tucking the blanket around me just how I always liked it, but something feels off. The person doing it feels off. Just not the same as him.

"Where is your boyfriend?" He asks after a while when I'm drinking the soup, the question catching me off guard when I freeze, flicking my eyes over to his curious ones.