4

The sun was just barely setting on the horizon, the sky a beautiful shade of orange and purple

The sun was just barely setting on the horizon, the sky a beautiful shade of orange and purple. Wis plopped down at the top of the hill, pulling Gale down with her. Things almost seemed serene in Twelve from the view. Small smoke stacks shot out near the Hob. Faint music could be heard somewhere off in the merchant section where people could afford to play. For just a second, everything seemed okay.

"I snagged something special from Ripper earlier," Gale smirks mischievously as he produces a small bottle of liquor from the inside of his jacket.

"Gale!" Wis exclaims disapprovingly, but she couldn't help the smile that rose on her face.

"What! Listen- I just signed my life away to the mines," Wis's smile dropped with a sigh at his words. "I want to try and enjoy my last few moments of freedom."

"Don't say that," she says as she bumps his shoulder. Her stomach churned knowing he'd be going down there.

"Then let's forget about it together," He snaps the seal, opening the bottle and giving it a whiff. His immediate cringe of disgust made Wis laugh, and she watched him with a grimace as he took a big swig from the bottle. The alcohol made him cough a bit as he swallowed, passing the bottle to her.

"Our mothers are not going to approve," she laughs as she accepts. Wis eyed it for a second before taking her own swig, pursing her lips at the strong taste.

"Delicious," she grunts, passing it back to him.

"I don't know how Haymitch drinks this stuff," Gale says as he takes another sip.

They did that for a while, passing the bottle back and forth while they spoke. You'd have thought for two people that spent most of their lives together they'd run out of things to say. But that was the special thing about Gale and Wisteria, they never grew bored of each other.

Eventually, Wis began to feel the fuzzy feeling she'd only ever felt once before in her life. The warmth and sloppiness that came with intoxication. The laughing and giggling that passed between the two friends grew and grew until Wisteria was on her back gasping for breath at some profane comment Gale had made. As she looks up into the leaves her eyes lock on something up in the tree that in an instant commanded her full attention.

"Oh my gosh!" She exclaims as she shoots up, grabbing onto his shoulder to steady herself.

She tried her best not to stumble as she walked over to the tree that was rooted a few feet behind them. With a deep breath, she grabbed onto the lowest branch and began hauling herself up into the Maple.

"Wis! Don't do that you're gonna hurt yourself," Gale scolds as he gets to his feet to stand below her.

"Yeah, okay," she taunts with a ridiculous look on her face. "Gale don't you remember what we hid up here?"

She found them then, the three sticks that they'd cleaned up and fashioned into "swords". The three would spend hours whacking each other as kids, going home covered in bruises they'd try to hide from their mothers. Wis did her best to ignore the third as she dropped the other two down to Gale.