𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐲𝐦𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐏𝐢𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐲

Having fun, it turned out, had a rather idiosyncratic meaning for Jack: It meant loudly bawling, cheering, and screaming while jumping in circles and spinning around the campfire, occasionally reaching for a bottle of rum – Jack was on his fourth already - and downing the devil's work that was called alcohol down your throat, singing indecent and licentious pirate songs in between and dancing in wild and free manner, not remotely like the upper-class partner dances you were familiar with.

Your head was hurting from Jack swirling you in circles, from the screaming and the singing. The alcohol had spread through your body, had made your limbs and mind numb. You felt dizzy and everything was spinning in front of your eyes. And yet, you were... happy. Free.

Whether it was the alcohol in your blood or not didn't matter - the only thing that mattered was the feeling.

Freedom.

Something you had longed for for so long, it felt unreal to truly have it: It felt more like an illusion or a dream that you could wake up from at any moment.

So, you savoured every second of it, enjoyed the warm, fuzzy feeling that it left behind in your heart and were ready to accept everything that was to come.

You just let the alcohol do its work and for the first time in your life, you were in the here and now: When Jack had started to sing a pirate song, it had been unknown to you. But now, after listening to it for the fourth time, you sang along with him projecting a strong voice and exuding confidence in the lyrics; not caring about your reputation, or the reputation of your family, the crown's, or anyone else's.

"We're devils, we're black sheep, we're really bad eggs, drink up me hearties, yo-ho. Yo-ho, yo-ho, a pirate's life for me", your slurred, warbled voices rang out, echoing across the waters that were illuminated by the thousand radiant stars of the night sky.

Jack staggered through the sand, so drunk he couldn't even put one foot in front of the other, his arms spread wide.

But there was no one who would have been bothered, no one to interfere, no one to judge; Elizabeth had withdrawn some time ago, had looked at you meaningfully, reminding you of your task and then, had disappeared. You had nodded confidently in return, but just like everything else, your clouded brain had forgotten this interaction two seconds later.

Now it was only you and Jack.

"I love this song", the pirate yelled out.

His arm found yours, they linked together, and you danced in a circle a few times before your bodies separated again. You chortled happily.

You had decided that you genuinely liked alcohol and the effect it had on you. Why had your parents kept this incredible drink from you for so long?

"Really bad eggs", Jack babbled.

Then, he lost his balance, due to the alcohol that was probably clouding his body and mind too, and with a short "oh" was forced to let himself flop onto the sand. He grabbed your arm, pulled you down to him and seconds later you were sitting on the soft sand as well.

"When I get the Pearl back, I'm gonna teach it to the whole crew, and we'll sing it all the time", he explained to you with a slurred speech and flailing hand gestures.

"And you will be positively the most fearsome pirate in the Spanish Main", you flattered him, unsure where your flirty, coquet words were coming from.

But it didn't bother you. You just enjoyed the moment.

"Not just the Spanish Main, love. The entire ocean. The entire world!", Jack fantasized, and for a moment there was a sparkle in his eyes, a gleam that illuminated his dark orbs.