22. The Announcement

twenty-two

twenty-two . Announcements

[ narrative ]
FEBRUARY 14TH, 2024
Valentines Day
lauren's pov

✮ ⋆ ˚。𖦹 ⋆。°✩

WE ALL gathered in Dior's hotel room, sitting around the room in a giant circle playing Uno... again. It seemed to be the only game everyone enjoyed enough to play consistently, so it's always what the group chose.

"Uno!" Malachi shouts way too loudly.

Kate side eyes him, and Malachi does the gesture back. Surprisingly the two had become super good friends, and that's all they were. It was way obvious that Malachi was smitten for his girlfriend, and Kate wasn't interested in anybody because of what happened with Xander.

She acts unbothered, but I know she's hurting. She really did like him, wether she will admit it or not. I'm scared she won't let herself like anyone else, and I really think if she finds the right person she could be really happy with him.

"You two are dorks..." I mumble, and most people agree with me.

"At least we know what the word friends means, unlike you two," Malachi jokes, pointing at Brady and I.

I roll my eyes, knowing we aren't friends anymore. Brady said we could tell everyone today since we'd all be here anyway.

Malachi ends up winning Uno, which he holds over our heads for the rest of the night. Kate has thrown multiple things at him, including her hardcover book she brought... for some reason.

We're sitting around just talking casually and I get sorta cold, so I move closer to Brady, wrapping my arm around the front of his torso loosely as I put my head on his shoulder. His arm goes around my waist from behind.

"Right... and you two are just friends?" Leah asks, sounding unconvinced.

Brady shakes his head lightly. "No. We're dating."

I smile into his shoulder as the room erupts into chaos. Some people are confused, some are saying they knew it.

"Since when?!" Kate yells, "I feel betrayed I wasn't informed!"

I laugh. "Since yesterday, Kate. Nothing big, I promise."

She narrows her eyes at me. I smile innocently at her before burying my face back into Brady's shoulder. He softly kisses the top of my head.

"Wait... you two weren't dating that whole time?" Dylan asks, seeming heavily confused.

He sits up fully, his face is more confused than a high schooler trying to do algebraic proofs.