✈︎seven

the music still blares loudly practically screaming at me

the music still blares loudly practically screaming at me. maverick, goose and axis continue chatting as though nothings happening. i can't take it anymore just listening to this song makes me feel like bursting out in floods of tears.

i stare into my glass full of beer, my jaw locking as tears brim in my eyes. i reach for bolt's dog tags to give me a bit of comfort, underneath the table i run my fingers over the engraved letters. the song keeps playing, it feels like my ear drums are going to burst. i slam my beer glass on the table making a loud crashing noise which causes most people in the bar to look up at me.

"siren what's the matter?" axis asks looking at me confused

"i umm.." i say glancing around nervously, much to my benefit most people have gone back to what they were doing beforehand.

"i need to step outside for some air"

maverick stands up abruptly "do you want me to come with you?"

i shake my head frantically feeling tears welling up "no!"

maverick looks taken aback and he opens his mouth to say something but before he can i cut him off by running out of the bar as fast as my legs will take me.

i slam the door shut and dip behind a wall sinking down the the ground as i start to feel the tears running down my face.
it's my fault. it's my fault. it's my fault. i bring my knees up to my face and bawl into them, i'd look pretty pathetic if any passers by were to see me. through the corner of my eye i see three concerned faces pop around the corner, two men and one woman. i quickly wipe away my tears with the back of my hand. axis rushes to me and throws her arms around me in a warm hug.

"what the hell siren! i told you if you ever needed to talk just come to me" she says grabbing a tissue from her bag and wiping my tears

goose and maverick stand there looking utterly bewildered. reasonable, they only just met me today and i've just broken down infront of them, that's just great work from me. i can't blame them though for just standing there, i would too if i just met the person.

goose makes his way towards me silently "siren? come on don't cry, what's up?"

i just shake my head at him, biting my lip to stop me from bursting out crying again.

"shh come on you don't have to speak, i think we should go home" axis says "oh wait shit, we don't have a ride, wait here i'll see if they have a phone so i can call like a taxi or something"

axis tries to get up to head back inside to look for a phonebooth nearby,her face riddled in worry but maverick stops her, grabbing her arm.

"don't worry, goose and i can take you guys home" maverick says "we have motorbikes"

"oh really?" axis says "thank you"

maverick walks over to me and helps me up "come on don't cry"

"i'm sorry, it's stupid i know" i say sniffling

"no it's not" maverick says "look, i don't know what you are upset about and you don't have to tell me but i'd like to help"
i just shake my head. as much as it pains me i've only known both him and goose for a day, i can't tell them my personal business.

maverick just nods "that's okay, here you ride with me" he says as he climbs on his motorbike with Goose following on his motorbike.

"that's good now climb on behind me and wrap your hands around my waist and hold tight" maverick says
i follow his instructions and i lean into his body, feeling his body heat hit my face. i look over at axis she's staring at us, i can tell by her face she's dying to make a cheeky comment but she knows it's not the right time so she follows maverick's instructions with goose. i glance around as maverick starts up the motorbike.

"no helmets?" i ask

"helmets what for?" he asks

"in case we crash obviously!" i say confused why he wouldn't put safety first.

"are you doubting my abilities? i'll have you know i'm a great driver" he says in mock offence as he follows goose out of the bar parking lot.

that gets a small giggle out of me, even though i'm still upset with everything about bolt. i know it's not healthy for me, (or anyone for that matter) to burst out into tears just over the mere  thought of someone. i don't know what to do about it, i know axis will help me if i tell her but i'm too scared. scared she'll get worried and tell an admiral on base who for sure would demote me from a pilot under the cause of ptsd. i understand why though, but i don't like the thought of it.

the rest of the drive is in silence, i can see axis constantly craning her head around to look at me, i avoid making eye contact with her until maverick and goose pull up outside of our house. maverick helps me off the bike and axis just climbs off goose's.

"thanks for taking us home, sorry i caused a scene and all" i say feeling incredibly guilty that i ruined what was supposed to be a fun night out.

"it's okay don't worry" goose says with a sympathetic nod

"we'll see you guys tomorrow?" maverick asks looking at me, then axis then back to me.

axis nods her head and i reply softly
"yeah, see you tomorrow"

we stand on our porch as they drive off into the night, stars twinkling brightly above them.
axis unlocks the door and switches on the lights before she grabs me a glass of water and pushes me down on a chair carefully.

"care to explain what happened?" she asks

i hesitate and don't reply. axis sighs and gets up, she pats my shoulder.

"we'll talk in the morning, just finish the water then go to sleep, it's late"

she gets up and walks off into her room leaving me alone to finish drinking the glass.

-
i'm so sorry for this chapter taking so long, i'm working on trying to update every week but i'm always really busy lately but i'm going to try my hardest to put out a new chapter!