JADE(S) 6

-1-

reaching out

Amy crept into the house, closing the front door softly, taking off her shoes, and heading quietly for the stairs. Hoping that neither of her parents heard her entering so late, make that early in the morning. Her foot lands on the bottom step when her mother's gentle voice drifted to her ears from the living room across the hallway from the stairs.

"Amy, could you come in here, please?"

Amy took a deep breath and closed her green eyes, steeling herself for a yelling match with her mother. It had been ages since she and her mother had fought. It had been an everyday thing in Florida, every day that she'd been home. She knew it was well deserved if her mom was waiting up for her.

Things had been going well with both her parents lately. She'd even been able to spend a long weekend away with her father last month when he'd gone up to Vancouver to oversee some special effects on a major project. Watching him work and just getting to know one another. She'd gotten a funny feeling that her father had been trying to tell her something the whole time that they had been away.

She and her mom were also spending a lot of time together when she wasn't working or going to school. Doing everything from working in the garden to cooking to washing the car on a warm Saturday afternoon.

She had just messed up majorly by coming in at 5am from Wesley's apartment. Not having called or even told them where she'd been off to after work. Amy was sure that she cared for Wesley, yet something tugged at her when she was with him. It was almost too perfect a relationship, and she didn't like that feeling. They liked all the same things and virtually never fought. That they were both Jo's exes was also a concern. Just this was major enough to bother her on the sleepless nights that plagued her lately. The other part that seemed to keep her fretting about this relationship was that it was destined to be. Like Wesley was supposed to be in the lives of J*A*D*E, and it might not matter which of the girls he was with. At least, that's how Jo had put it once. The phrasing had bothered her.

Amy thought maybe they were perfect for each other; that didn't mean that they should be together. She didn't like the thought of something being scripted out for her. That no matter what she did, this was going to happen.

Sitting on the couch, her eyes not meeting her mother's and waiting. When a few minutes had passed, and her mom had said nothing, she started jabbering. Sounding almost like an auctioneer, rattling off facts and apologizing effortlessly from her lips. Hoping to justify the reason she had been so late, to at least put her mother's mind at ease. Saying something was better than the utter silence that was drifting through the house.

"Look, mom, I didn't mean to come in so late. We watched movies, and I must have fallen asleep with him on the couch. I could have stayed there but didn't think you'd let me; I didn't want to call you either. Didn't want to wake you up with the phone ringing in your ears and get you all worried, so I came home the second I woke up!" said Amy, talking like an auctioneer trying to sell a dead horse. "I mean, I guess I could have texted, but you would have seen it, and I'd have been home already because you're supposed to be asleep."

Her mom chuckle, and Amy looked up at her now, seeing her mom covering her mouth with her hand, hiding the smile that played there.

Suddenly, she realized how much she looked like her mother: the same lips, smile, face, hair color, and even the same body build. She didn't know where she'd gotten the green eyes; everyone in her family had dark, exotic brown eyes. She was the oddity of them all, having brilliant green eyes.