The Desperate Wish

Ever since I was little I have always wondered what it would be like to live up on the surface; to feel sand between my toes and the sun on my face; but I never could. No matter how hard I could wish to experience human life even for a day I would never survive.

You see my name is Marina and I am a mermaid; I am unable to go onto the land because if our existence was discovered we would all be in a lot of danger. It has never stopped me wondering what it would be like though.

"Marina come on already" I hear my best friend Ash call out 

"Coming Ash" I call back before quickly swimming over to where I know she will be; the reef.

I look at Ash and just smile; she has the most amazing pink hair any mermaid could wish for unlike my green hair, her tail is all different shades of purple which just makes her look so beautiful. I have always wished I was more like Ash; not just in looks but in personality too. Ash is a daredevil, she doesn't care about the rules and instead makes them up as she goes and has yet to land herself in a dangerous situation.

"Marina you're lost in thought again" Ash laughs making air bubbles float up towards the surface.

"Sorry, you know I can't help it" I laugh back before splashing her with my bluefin.

"True; I am more amazing but you know what, so are you" She smiles before starting to swim away from me; I follow after her already knowing that is what she wants.

"Hurry up" Ash calls out making me pump my fin harder to try and catch up with her to no avail.

"I give up, I will just see you back at the village" I yell out before turning around and heading back towards our home.

the village is a nice place to live; every day you see different schools of fish swim past and even dolphins which are my favourite animal; we all live in sunken boats or miniature sand caves we have dug out over the years so there is nothing I could ever really complain about when it comes to our home. 

I have a few friends but I am not very close with any of them; my family consists of just my mum and I but I enjoy that lifestyle a lot more than when my dad was around. My dad left us when I was ten to go explore the deeper ocean waters and hasn't returned in almost seven years. I loved my dad very much but looking back on him now I have realised he was a very controlling man. 

I poke my head up to the surface for a quick break before I have to swim the rest of the way home and notice the beach nearby; oh how I wish I could be on that beach right now I think to myself before the world fades to black.