Chapter 16

Hi!

So, this chapter is *slightly* more NSFW than the others. There's nothing explicit- it's just more suggestive, just to give y'all a heads up :3

"Well," I say awkwardly, standing up and brushing myself off. "I suppose I'll be going, then."

Headteacher Oak looks haggard, but says nothing, waving his hand in dismissal. I grab my bag off the floor and hurry out. When I step outside, everyone falls into silence, looking at me, their jaws hanging open.

"Well?" Serena demands.

"False alarm. Nobody else needs to go in," I answer, smiling sheepishly. The others sigh in relief, but Ash is giving me a look that means he's going to force an explanation out of me. Gary must have walked right past them, because he's long gone.

"Headteacher's don't make mistakes like that," Chloe says, narrowing her eyes at me.

"Go and ask him yourself if you want," I say, gesturing to the door.

"Come on, I didn't get to finish my lunch," Dawn says, grabbing her arm and dragging her away. The others follow, May perking up and looping her arm around Serena's. Only Misty hesitates, but goes too when she notices the look Ash is giving me. Once they're all gone, I sit down on the chair beside him, sighing.

"I didn't realise that was Gary's grandad," I say.

"Did he say something about you? To try to get you in trouble?" Ash has gone in defense mode again, and looks ready to fight someone.

I shake my head. "No. Apparently he's been wiping messages off my locker in the morning before we get here. Must be Bede."

Ash looks as confused as I feel. "Gary's been what? Why?"

"I don't know. But the headteacher was asking for a name and now Gary says he's gonna go speak to Bede, but he doesn't know the name, so I don't know how he's gonna do that."

"Fuck that. I'll speak to him." He stands up like he's planning on heading straight there.

"When?" I counter, but then it hits me. The dance tomorrow. Our two schools are joining together for it, as they usually do. Normally, I wouldn't care. Last year, I didn't even go with Tokio, because I didn't care enough to. This year, though, he'll be there with Bede, no doubt. "No, Ash. Absolutely not."

"I'm not gonna kill him," he says. "Just talk to him."

I don't want to go anymore. I have a bad, bad feeling about all of this. Bede has no proof, but if he wanted to, he could start a terrible rumour about Ash and I. It's not me I'm worried about. It's him. "What if he tells everyone about us?"

Ash pauses, a troubled look crossing his face. "Well, then we'll just have to deal with that if it happens. I'm not letting him mess with you, okay?"

Calmly, he gestures for me to follow him. I do, and we rejoin the others in the cafeteria, but my worrying doesn't die down. Maybe I am stressed about nothing, but I can't convince my brain of that.

After school, I'm mentally and physically exhausted, but I'm not going to say no when Ash asks if I want to go to his house rather than my own. When we head in, Delia calls hello from the kitchen. She comes out, wearing her apron, covered in flour again, and insists I try the cookies she's been baking. She never questions it when I just show up at her house now. I wonder if she secretly knows.

Upstairs, Ash throws his bag down on the bed and sits down. He's been distracted all day, just like me, and something tells me it's not just because of Bede. I have a sneaky feeling it may be because of Gary. I sit down beside him, but don't reach out for him yet.