4. Sick days

italodisco has a jazz version that is played in high-end bars. i cried. no amount of vodka could've made me forget.

"I seriously can't believe how dumb you get sometimes" Scaramouche commented as Lumine struggled not to cough out her lungs.

"Me neither" she sulked, blowing her nose dramatically loud.

The bedroom at her new flat had a nice view and a king-sized bed but the two friends instead of taking advantage of these comforts, ended up lying on the carpet and staring at the empty beige wall.

"How did you even end up like this?" Scaramouche gave her a side-eye, clearly disgusted by her state.

"I was out on the terrace." She shrugged and sneezed.

"You're so antisocial." Lumine threw a package of tissues at Scaramouche but he ducked skilfully.

After her previous night's endeavours, namely standing in the cold and smoking half the night and possibly due to her gorgeous but impractical outfit, Lumine was now stuck at the flat, ill and suffering from severe bullying.

She didn't particularly like her new place. Despite all the warm colours, rugs, pillows, a fireplace, artsy pictures on the walls and sweetly scented candles, it still felt artificial - almost like a lab. This was why she tried to avoid being there as much as she could.

Lumine has been always quite good at implementing this tactic, because ever since ever since her boarding school days she failed to like any of her places of accommodation. Thanks to that, Lumine was quite eager to work overtime when given the chance and was always going to parties, art galleries, shopping centres, cafes or to friend's houses. Just like a stray cat, venturing into houses but never staying long enough to make herself feel at home.

"Pass me the tissues" Lumine grumbled, her nose annoyingly runny but Scaramouche had no interest in freeing her from her suffering. "Pass me the tissues or I'll call Nahida and tell her that you lied to her."

Her friend gasped.

"Oh you damned hypocrite" he murmured flabbergasted.

"I'm not a hypocrite, you're just a little bitch" Lumine said, her nose fully stuffed. "Please, if Nahida's party wasn't tonight, you'd never bother showing up."

Scaramouche folded his arms and pouted.

"We both know you don't have the guts to refuse her invitation and you're just using me as an excuse" Lumine pointed out, struggling to maintain her dignity but barely breathing.

"Well duh." The tissues flew and hit Lumine in the head. "Rejoice."

The blonde emptied the whole package almost immediately, ignoring Scaramouche's pouting.

Lumine couldn't begin to understand why he was so scared on confronting Nahida and simply telling her that he didn't feel like going to her party. She herself had no issue calling her friend and blowing her nose right into the phone, while informing Nahida that she won't be attending tonight's event.

"It's quite alright, dear" she heard in reply. "To be perfectly honest, I don't expect this gala to be any good. Too many wannabe socialites." Lumine could almost see Nahida rolling her eyes at that. "I'm just happy you enjoyed yesterday."

"You always host great parties" she coughed out.

"The guest list turned out nicely, that's true" her friend agreed. "But you must get better before the 'RUSH HOUR''s launch. I want to throw a party then as well and it would be unimaginable for you to miss it."