Chapter Four:

Pulling the visor down in my car, I reapply my lipstick. A dull red shade. Not too bold. The curls I put in my hair have already become a bit frizzy from the weather. Inhaling sharply, I feel needles beginning to prickle my eyes.

No. No. Do not do this. No crying.

It's too soon. I shouldn't have even come. Why would Grove even invite me to this? I'm not going to be fun. I'm going to ruin the mood.

There's a knock at my window, making me jump as I snap my head in the direction of my window. Grove is crouched down, wavering her hand at me to hurry up. "Stop staring at yourself. You look fine." She says.

I shut off my car and step out, the cold air nipping at my cheeks. "I don't know if it's a good idea to go to this." I mumble and stuff my keys into my jacket pockets.

She shoots me a look. "Just give it a chance. If you're miserable, feel free to leave at any time." Looking over her attire, I begin to feel self-conscious. How is it that everything looks so elegant and so fitting on her? And despite the rain, her hair still manages to look pristine.

My hand raises, and I attempt to smooth down my hair. Heart thuds in my chest as Grove opens the tavern door. Warm air collides with the cold outside. The restaurant is busy, as usual. Loud conversations and laughter all around us. The sound of glasses clinking and forks scraping plates.

"Are they here yet?" I ask her as I slip off my coat and toss it over my arm.

Her eyes scan the place. "He said they're at a table by the bar." Her green eyes are a darker shade against her emerald blouse. She looks stunning.

"What's my date's name? I know nothing about him."

"Atlas. He's the same age as you, twenty-one. Uh, and apparently, he's going through a rough time and needed to get out as well."

I pop a hip out and shoot her a frown. "Great, did he get cheated on too?" I grumble. Atlas. Not a very common name. There was an Atlas at my high school. Oh, God. What if it's him? The last person I want to see right now is someone from high school. My body goes rigid, and my feet plant themselves on the ground. "Grove, I don't think I can do this."

Her attention snaps to me. "Dear God, Greer. Since when have social settings terrified you this much?"

"Since I've become a miserable, cheated-on mess."

She rolls her eyes. "You've had two weeks to wallow and hide in your bedroom. That's more time than he deserves. Now just plaster a fake smile on it and try to enjoy yourself. Do this for me, okay?"

"I might know the guy, though. His friend."

Her eyebrow raises. "Oh?"

"Nothing. Never mind." I wave my hand. Sucking in a shaky breath, I unlock my feet and flash a bright, fake smile at her. Grove has been overly supportive through my whole ordeal and through most of my life, so the least I can do is shoo away my heavy rain cloud above my head for a short amount of time so she can enjoy her date with a boy she likes. "It's fine. Let's go."

She tosses her arm over my shoulder. "Yes, there it is! Let's have fun tonight." She pats the top of my head. "Oh! I see him." Her feet skip with excitement as she walks a step ahead of me towards the table.

I weave past a group of guys, feeling their stare on me as I walk past, and feel my back stiffen in response. Grove is already giving the guy a hug with a large, vibrant smile across her face. He's much taller and has the body of a firefighter. Muscular arms that are visible even through his olive-green long-sleeve shirt. Light stubble lines his sharp jawline, and short, tousled brown hair and olive skin.