Introduction

AU: Lumine and Kody are in college, senior year. Kody is majoring in software development and has an internship at a video game company (sorry if it's a bit inaccurate I don't know anything about coding... I just thought it would be cute...)

The sun dipped low on the horizon, casting long shadows across the room as Kody sat in front of his laptop. The dim glow of the screen reflected off his green eyes as he immersed himself in the newest project his internship assigned to him. Lines of code dragged on and on in front of him as he fixed and debugged things for what seemed like hours.

Aiden, Kody's father, leaned against the doorframe, watching his son engrossed in his work. It had been a summer of complete solitude for Kody, his only company being occasional calls with his superiors at work, messages between the other interns, and the occasional meow from the fluffy black street cat that somehow always found its way to his apartment.

"Kody," Aiden spoke, breaking the silence that enveloped the room. "You've been holed up in here for the entire summer. It's time to start thinking about school."

Kody sighed, reluctantly tearing his eyes away from the screen. "Dad, I've got my internship, good grades, and I'm eating things other than cup ramen. I don't see what the issue is."

Aiden shook his head, his concern etched into the lines on his forehead. "You can't spend your entire life in front of that computer. When is the last time you talked to someone outside of work?"

Kody frowned, the idea of socializing sending a ripple of disdain through him. "I'm doing just fine on my own, Dad."

Aiden sighed. "I know you've got your own way of doing things, but you can't avoid people forever. It's not healthy. Besides, you'll be starting your senior year soon, and I've decided you won't be getting a single-person dorm this time."

Kody's eyes widened in surprise. "What?! Why?"

Aiden crossed his arms, a determined glint in his eyes. "Because it's time you learn to live with others. No more shutting yourself in. You're getting a roommate."

Kody's heart sank. The idea of sharing his space with someone else- a complete stranger- made his skin crawl. The idea of having someone invade his personal space was enough to make him immediately feel nothing but dread.

Aiden gave himself a self-assured nod, ignoring all of his son's protests. It finally dawned on Kody... this was it. It was happening. All of those years of peace and quiet were collapsing in on themselves. He groaned and slumped back at his desk.

"Hey, don't be too upset. Who knows, you and your new roommate could even become good friends!" Aiden encouraged.

"Good friends huh..?" He seriously doubted that.

Ch 1/25