☆Death Threats (pt.5)☆

(3rd person pov)

"This is it."

Carasein crossed her arms, standing before a rough-looking shack. It had clearly been through the worst of things. The wood looked old and rotted, a tattered curtain hung over the holes in the roof. It was a decent size, as big as a small cottage.

It was near the unnamed river by the Saving Forest, and just on the edge of ghoul territory.

"This?" Vrena scoffed, coming up behind them.

Maizie quickly rushed up to give Carasein a hug, which always seemed to make her jump a bit. However, it made it apparent how much shorter Maizie was compared to her, which amused Vrena.

Although Vrena was even shorter than Maizie.

"It's beautiful!"

"Hm, well, that's not the word I would use, per se..." Carasein lightly laughed.

Vrena rolled her eyes. "Me neither."
No part of her wanted to stay in this dingy, musty place.

"I was thinking of it more as a hideout, maybe," Carasein said.

"We're spies?!" Maizie exclaimed, letting her go.
"Sure," she answered.

Carasein wasn't too bothered by Maizie's antics. Not like Vrena, who was in a constant state of annoyance because of her.

Maizie held tightly onto Carasein's arm.

"Do you need something?"
"N-nothing...no."

Carasein dragged her inside, trying to get past the rain that was starting to fall, and showed them both the place.

The entrance was quite small, but the interior was somewhat nicer than the outside. A small counter sat near the entrance, cupboards above it, like it had been a kitchen in its past life.

The cabin-type building was hooked up with a single small bedroom and a storage room. The bedroom wasn't bad, antique vases and a dusty mirror decorated the space.

"We're not doing the one bed thing," Vrena stated.

Carasein smiled softly, looking over at her. "Oh no. Not with that mattress."

Vrena glared at her.

"You don't sleep during the night anyways, do you, princess?"

Vrena sighed, not even annoyed by the nickname at this point, "No. I don't."

"Must be why you're so grumpy," she whispered, nodding at Maizie. "Someone needs her beauty rest."

"Shut up. I can't believe you convinced me to come to this place."

Carasein just scoffed, "How about you go get cleaned up, the river runs right behind this shack," she turned back to the bed, "I'll maybe go get another mattress."

"Can I come?" Maizie bounced excitedly.

"No, cutie pie, you just sit tight, okay?"

Maizie's feet faltered. "B-but why not?"

Carasein put her hands on her shoulders, "I can pass as human," she said, "not you, sweetheart."

"Oh." Maizie frowned and Carasein let go of her.

All zombies had a grey color penetrating their skin, as if the membrane of an egg. The dull color made it quite obvious of them being undead.

She turned back to Vrena, "So can I come with you?"

"Fuck no! I don't want anything to do with you. Let alone you seeing my bare ass."
"O-oh..."

Maizie hadn't thought of it like that.