11

As I stand backstage, I listen to the muffled voice of the mayor who's about to introduce my entrance. When I hear a round of applause, I know that it's my cue.

"Thank you, citizens of district 4, for welcoming me here today," I begin in a monotonous voice and start to recite my speech, like I've recited for every district. It's almost fully etched into my brain to the extent that I barely need my speech cards anymore.

However, when I reach the part where I praise and honour the tributes for their great sacrifices to the Capitol, I stutter and my words fail me. I can't bear to choke the words on the cards out, knowing that they're not as sincere as I wish.

I look around me, my eyes catching on the parents and siblings of Ripley. His brother is almost an exact lookalike, evoking the memory of his cruel decapitation to mind. I look away, afraid that if I study their faces any longer, tears will begin to brim in my eyes.

Turning to the other raised platform, I stare into the grief-stricken faces of Annie's family members for the first time since I've stepped onto the stage. I'm struck by how similar they look and the features they have in common. The beautiful ginger colour of her hair. The bright aquamarine blue of her twinkling eyes. All on display on the faces of her mother, her father, and her younger sister.

"Harmony!" my escort, Elsa, hisses at me from offstage, shocking me out of my trance. Only then do I realise that I've been silent for far too long, and the audience and everyone else are staring at me expectantly.

Gulping down a wave of nerves, I make the split second decision to go off-script, knowing that it's a risk and that I'll probably be told off by Elsa or someone else the second I leave the stage.

"I... Although I won the games and I stand before you as a victor, believe me when I say that I could not have done it without the help of Annie and Ripley, who were my allies — and more importantly my friends." I pause and turn to Ripley's family, addressing them as I speak, "Ripley was one the bravest souls I ever knew, and he was fearless till the end. I consider him a true friend through our time together in the arena, even if our friendship was short-lived."

Ripley's parents and brother are holding back their tears, trying to put on a brave face like their son would've done. His mother gives me a sad but genuine smile, conveying the silent message that she understands and acknowledges my words.

Then, turning to Annie's parents and her sister, I speak from the bottom of my heart, "Even though I didn't know Annie for long, I can honestly say that she's one of the kindest souls I've ever met. She reminded me of what it means to be selfless, generous, and kind. The world could use more people like her."

They look heartbroken over my words but also grateful. A bittersweet feeling. Which is what prompted me to say the next part, merely on impulse and without thinking.

Turning from Annie's family to Ripley's and finally back in the audience, I say, "If only the games didn't exist, maybe things could've been different. Annie and Ripley — and all of the tributes — would've still been alive. And who knows? Maybe we would've all still been friends."

Suddenly out of the blue, a whistle sounds somewhere in the audience, but it's near impossible to pinpoint where the ethereal melody comes from. Then slowly, one by one, the people in the audience raise three fingers to their lips and hold them up, a silent homage to the ones who are sacrificed and to me, who honours them through my speech.

I feel my vision blurring slightly as the sight of the audience's collective tribute moves me to tears.

I open my mouth to say one last sentence to properly finish my speech, but before I can so much as get one single word out, two peacekeepers appear next to me, signalling it's time for me to leave. I stand unmoving, determined to finish, but it seems that it's not a request, but a command. When I don't follow them obediently, they start to haul me off the stage with their tight grasp that digs painfully into my arms.

The last sight I see before the doors slam shut behind me as I'm dragged backstage is the people in the crowd, their fingers still raised in tribute and respect, the confusion and panic growing when they notice me being forcefully removed form the stage.

***

"Have you lost your mind?" Brutus immediately harasses me when I leave the stage — or rather, when I am ushered off the stage by the Peacekeepers to control the commotion growing. Even with the doors shut, I can hear the noise levels rising, voices demanding that I be allowed back on stage.

"I did what I did, and I don't regret it," I reply defiantly, standing my ground. "It's the least I could do for Annie and Ripley.

Brutus seems like he disagrees and is about to retort, as do some of the others, but Jason places a hand on his arm, gently but also firmly.

"Leave it, Brutus," he urges and Brutus drops it, stroking out of the room instead. He gives a look to the others and Elsa, and they leave as well, leaving us two alone. Jason turns back to me, and I hang my hand, looking down, unwilling to see the look of disappointment that undoubtedly mars his features.

To my surprise, my brother comes forward to face me and embraces me in a hug.

"I'm not disappointed, Harmony," he says, while I'm still standing there unmoving and trying to comprehend his words. "I understand why you went off-script and said all of that. And I'm glad you did; I can tell Annie and Ripley meant a lot to you."

"I just can't..." I start, unable to finish as tears prick my eyes. "Why is it me? Why did I survive? Why couldn't it have been Annie, or even Ripley? They're a thousand times better and kinder than me. They didn't deserve this fate."

"I know, little sis," Jason hums as he comforts me.

Drawing back, he then takes on a more serious tone and says, "I know, Harmony, but you can't deny the fact that saying these things can be dangerous. What the people in the crowd did — that sign, it's a sign of rebellion. And you know what President Snow would do if you pose a threat to his reign."

It's true. I've heard the rumours and the stories from Jason and the other victors. I know what he's capable of, or at least I have an idea. Even if I'm a victor and from a career district, he won't hesitate to cut me down. After all, he didn't hesitate even when it came to the people of the Capitol.

I sniffle again and nod, unable to speak in fear of my sobs overpowering my self-control.

Jason sighs and gives me another embrace before saying, "Just please be careful, especially when you're already on such thin ice. I don't want to lose you, Harmony."

"I will," I promise, hoping that I can keep it.

"Now, let's get you cleaned up," he says and attempts at a smile while gesturing to my tear-streaked face.

"Okay, and what then?" I ask, wiping the last traces of my tears away as I dab at my eyes with my sleeves.

"It's time for you to meet some of my friends, the victors of district 4."