Chapter 44

Gu Lang was taken aback, only realizing what he meant. His face flushed instantly, and as he lifted his foot to kick, Mu Rong Yan grabbed his calf, pressed it against his side, and gave it a rub, teasingly saying, "So many people watching, let's go back and settle this behind closed doors."

Gu Lang, glancing at the palace maids and guards still tidying up around them, reluctantly withdrew his foot and turned to leave.

Mu Rong Yan hastily stopped him, "Where are you going?"

"Since nothing's happening, I'll go back to the bamboo pavilion," Gu Lang replied.

"Nothing's happening?!" Mu Rong Yan interrupted, "You're now the personal guard of the Crown Prince. With the palace in chaos, you must stay to protect the Crown Prince properly."

"But your martial arts are better than mine," Gu Lang argued.

"Dealing with assassins is not something the Crown Prince should do personally. You haven't even been appointed as the Crown Prince's bodyguard, and you're already trying to shirk your duties?" Mu Rong Yan countered.

Ignoring him, Gu Lang tried to walk away, saying, "With so many people here, they don't need me."

"That won't do," Mu Rong Yan pulled him back, "Let's go, check on the people from Mount Fu Lan."

"I'm not going," Gu Lang insisted.

Mu Rong Yan bent down and lifted him up.

"What are you doing, Mu Rong Yan?!" Gu Lang struggled, "Let go!"

"If you don't go, I'll carry you," Mu Rong Yan said casually.

"You..." Gu Lang was furious, "Shameless!"

Mu Rong Yan seemed to ponder, "What's the crime for insulting the Crown Prince again?"

Gu Lang fell silent.

In the end, Mu Rong Yan walked away, dragging the stern-faced Gu Lang with him.

Xu Jing'er stood in front of the palace gate, anxiously waiting for her father. Having heard of the rebellion in the palace, followed by the arrival of the Northern Garrison to quell it, she rushed here in concern after her father, who had entered the palace early in the day. However, the palace was still in disarray, and she was stopped at the gate, forced to wait outside.

After a long wait, Xu Jing'er finally saw her father emerging from the palace, accompanied by Qu Fengyun and Ruan Nian.

"Dad!" Xu Jing'er hurried over, supporting him. "Dad, are you okay?"

Xu Zhiyan patted her hand and reassured her, "I'm fine."

Qu Fengyun approached with an injured arm, bid farewell to Xu Zhiyan, and then intended to return home. Seeing his injured hand and tired expression, Xu Jing'er invited them to join her in the family carriage back to the Xu residence.

Qu Fengyun hadn't spoken yet when his sleeve was tugged. Turning around, he saw Ruan Nian looking pitifully at him, saying, "Let's take the carriage, my legs are so sore."

Qu Fengyun: "..." You only walked a few steps.

Xu Jing'er added, "Even Physician Ruan must be tired. Let's take the carriage."

Qu Fengyun could only nod.

Thus, the four of them squeezed into the carriage, swaying back to the Xu residence.

During the journey, Xu Zhiyan noticed his daughter sneakily glancing at Qu Fengyun and Ruan Nian, often suppressing a giggle, displaying a girlishly enamored demeanor.

The carriage first stopped in front of Qu's residence, and Qu Fengyun and Ruan Nian got off, expressing their gratitude to Xu Zhiyan and Xu Jing'er.

Seeing his daughter clinging to the carriage window, looking reluctant to part, Xu Zhiyan couldn't help but stroke his beard, wondering, "Jing'er, is it... Qu Fengyun or Physician Ruan that you've set your eyes on?"

Entering the imperial study, Wei Yong didn't find the Emperor. Instead, the Crown Prince and a young man were present.

"Old minister pays respects."

"Your Highness." Wei Yong was about to bow, but Mu Rong Yan quickly helped him up. "General Wei, no need for formalities."

Mu Rong Yan assisted him in sitting down, saying, "I summoned General Wei here not by the Emperor's decree but because I wanted him to meet someone."

He stepped back, revealing Gu Lang behind him.

Wei Yong was puzzled. "Who is this?"

Gu Lang's lips trembled slightly. After several attempts, he finally whispered, "When I was ten, I accidentally dropped my father's carefully hidden daughter's red sachet. Afraid that I would be scolded, you said you secretly drank it..."

Wei Yong looked at him, somewhat bewildered.

"On my twelfth birthday, you promised to take me to see a street performance but got separated. I went home by myself, and you spent the night searching the streets. My father often teased you afterward..."

Wei Yong's hand on the chair trembled slightly. "You, who are you?"

Gu Lang's eyes reddened. "Uncle Wei, it's me, Gu Lang..."

"Gu..." Wei Yong shivered, suddenly standing up. "Little Lang? Are you Little Lang?! Old Gu's child?!"

Gu Lang nodded.

"Is it really you?!" Wei Yong, excited, grabbed his shoulders. "You're not dead?"

Gu Lang said, "Zhao saved me."

"Good, good, as long as you're fine, it's really good..." Wei Yong supported the chair, eyes glistening with tears. Suddenly, he turned away, covering his face with one hand.

Mu Rong Yan quietly exited, closing the door behind them.

"Eleven years..." Wei Yong faced away from Gu Lang, his voice choked, "Never thought I'd see you again. Must be Old Gu's blessing..."

For eleven years, the past seemed like yesterday, a time of charging on the battlefield and joyously toasting. Only in dreams were those departed still present, laughing openly. Upon waking, all that remained was a handful of yellow earth covering white bones.

Wei Yong sniffed, took a deep breath, and turned to face Gu Lang. With a touch of melancholy, he said, "You've grown so tall, just like your father when he was young... Ah, back then, before I went to the Northern Territory, I promised your father that when I returned, I'd arrange a marriage between you and my daughter... Never expected that, when I did return, he was already buried in the ground..."

Tears seemed about to spill again, but Wei Yong steadied himself, patting Gu Lang's shoulder. "Child, you've suffered these years. Don't worry; with Uncle Wei here, no one can bully you."

Gu Lang felt a warmth in his heart. "Thank you, Uncle Wei."

Wei Yong continued, "Although this marriage arrangement was only discussed verbally with your father, it still holds. My daughter hasn't found anyone in these years, and it seems fate has been waiting for you. Let's find a good day soon, and you two can proceed with the marriage."

Gu Lang: "..."