𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐒𝐜𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞

Brooklynn, our resident tech wizard, had figured out how to play music from an old boombox, which, after judging Mitch and Tiff's modern and luxurious campsite, I was surprised to see they owned.

I hung out with Darius over by the front deck. We were sitting on two white sunbathing chairs (though we unfortunately didn't have sunscreen) and wore sunglasses. The sunglasses I'd chosen were identical to the pair Kenji lost at the lagoon when we first heard the evacuation alarm, so I hoped he'd recognise them.

Yasmina and Ben were busy diving off the boat's stern. I had no idea where Sammy and Brooklynn had run off to, but I'm sure they were messing around together. And Kenji? Per his new role as 'Captain Kenji,' my brother set about parading the boat and checking in on us like a nautical babysitter.

"D'you know what I find funny?" I sighed pleasantly, crossing my leg over my other as I stared at the bright blue above me.

"What?" Darius said.

"We're a couple of abandoned teens leaving a dinosaur-infested island on a yacht. That's true style, odd as it is."

"I've gotta admit, I'm loving this yacht life! But there is still one thing we need to do before we go: prank Kenji back for scaring us!"

"I am so in!" I cheered. We fist-bumped, grinning wide, then relaxed on the chairs. Darius then gasped.

"I got it! We steal his captain's hat!" he exclaimed.

I like where this was going! "And what do we do after?" I replied excitedly.

"We...We don't give it back."

I continued smiling expectantly, waiting for the rest of the plan, but Darius just smiled his awkward grin. "Wait, was that the entire plan?" I slowly asked.

I covered my mouth to hold in my laugh at Darius' silence. He was so cute! Darius looked to the side, his cheeks red as he blushed in embarrassment.

"Yeah, lame. Sorry," Darius murmured.

"It's not lame! It just needs a bit of spice. Something that'll scare Kenji!"

Darius just sighed a miserable sigh and sat up. I sat up, too, staring at him in concern. Was it because I was trying not to laugh? I didn't want to make him feel bad about it; I just found it amusing!

"When you've got an older brother like Brand, you're usually the prank victim. Not the prank planner," Darius explained.

Oh. It wasn't me. I knew how Darius felt, and it certainly wasn't fun. But such is the life of the poor, pranked and teased little sister (and brother in Darius' case).

"If it makes you feel any better, there hasn't been a week at home when Kenji hasn't pulled some silly prank. He'd hide my things or replace them with other things - they were the stupidest tricks! I tried to get him back once, and it nearly worked until Dad figured me out and told me off for being so immature."

"What did you do?" Darius asked.

"You don't want to know," I said, resting my head on the lounge chair and putting my sunglasses back on. I was met with silence, so I took off my glasses again. Darius' face was inches away from mine, with an excited smile plastered across his face.

"Come on, Kiara! Your dad's not here - we might be able to do your prank and get the others in on it!"

"Alright, alright! I may have spent a month of the summer holidays pretending Kenji never existed. I got the cleaners, Beth and even the cook to help me, and Kenji started to believe he didn't exist. He kept pulling my hair so I'd acknowledge him (which hurt), but I think I've got a pretty good poker face! But when Dad returned from his trip, and Kenji went to him crying, I was forced to come clean. It wasn't that funny prank - more like traumatising your brother 2.0. But hey, I made it work!"