Chapter 17

Cover to the right is made by TheFighter2012 :)

***

Amanda's POV~

I avoided Neal and John all day long. Hiding from John was the easy part, but from Neal... not so much. As soon as John, Jeyleen, and Danny arrived back at campus on Sunday, the first thing they did was crash at their place.

How did I know this?

Danny texted me.

He wanted to know if I got home safely and if I wanted to hang out with them. Of course, I made some sort of excuse to get out of it. Talking to John on Saturday was one thing, but I wasn't so sure I could face him yet with Jeyleen being in the same room.

After saying goodbye to Danny, I received a text message from Neal soon after.

I ignored it.

Within five minutes, I got another one from him.

And then another, and another, and another. Soon, my phone kept beeping every few minutes, saying the same thing over and over again:

"Can we please talk?"

I didn't want to talk. Not to him. So I shut my phone off and threw it on my bed, where I couldn't see it anymore.

I thought that was the last time I would hear from Neal, but I was wrong. Around two o'clock, there was banging on my door, followed by a voice. His voice.

"Amanda, open up," he said calmly, "just let me explain." It sounded like he was begging—more like pleading—for me to open the door, but I didn't want to.

"Please?" he asked once more. The desperation in his voice almost made me give in, but I stood strong.

Just remember, Amanda. He made your childhood miserable. Don't give in so easily.

Biting my lip, I faced the wall. "Just go away Neal."

"Please Amanda..."

Ignoring the agony in his voice, I shook my head, knowing perfectly well he couldn't see me.

"Fine. You don't have to talk to me now," he said after he realized I was done talking to him. "I'll wait here all day if I have to."

My eyes widened in shock when I heard movements, followed by a creak. Hearing a sliding sound, I knew Neal's back had made contact with the door.

He's kidding, right? He can't stay here all day!

"Whenever you're ready, I'll be here, Amanda."

I thought he would give up after a few hours, but I was wrong. He was still there at eleven o'clock at night! The only reason I knew that was because he started snoring at ten and hasn't stopped since! I couldn't even get any sleep because of him. I even had to miss dinner earlier! I'm hungry as hell.

Thump. Kick. Thump.

The snoring stopped suddenly. Did he wake up?

"Hey, what are you doing this late at a girl's dorm?" a female voice asked. I assumed she was talking to Neal.

"I-I was um... waiting—"

"It's already past eleven," the voice interrupted him. "You need to go back to your own dorm."

"But—"

"Not buts," she cut him off again, "rules are rules. Now go."

"Can I just—"