Chapter 31: Fontaine Futuristics

"Amazing." Henry breathed, still astonished.

"Yep, she's a beauty." Will smiled, beaming with pride.

"Can you two stop dallying about and help me with these wires, please!?" Gil pleaded.

The two men chuckled, walking over and grabbing different ends of the thick coils surrounding the metal diving suit.

It had been nearly two weeks since Henry left the Medical Pavilion. He had been asked by his old friend Gilbert Alexander to come over to Fontaine Futuristics to help with a project he had been working on. Henry had met William Harrington in the process. The man who found Rapture in nothing but a diving bell and his advanced metal suit. Across the city he had been nicknamed Johnny Topside. A marvel of exploration in this day and age. During their time together they were dabbling with the technology William's suit consisted of. With his consent and a rather hefty contract made with Fontaine's company, together the trio of men attempted to replicate the suit.

Henry's hands were already smudged with grease . "Will, hand me those pliers behind you. What did you stay this stuff was made from, again?"

"Eh, it's a compound alloy. Tough enough to withstand intense water pressure, but the stuff is dense and very heavy."

Gil furrowed his brow, rubbing his chin with two fingers. "Hmm, suppose the application for underwater travel will out-weigh the factors of mobility. I'm sure in time we'll find a solution to that problem. For now, let's see if we can replicate the design."

"Why does Fontaine want these suits mass produced, Gil? You never did get around to telling me."

Gil was arms deep in wires now, behind the suit he still had the energy to talk. "Well Henry, you have seen the Little Sisters that wander about Rapture, yes?"

Henry winced. ADAM had become the highest demanding product in the city. People couldn't get enough of the genetic wonder drug. Lately, scientists had discovered a way to mass produce recycled ADAM from corpses. Modifying young girls, mostly orphans, these children had the ability to ingest the blood from dead bodies, and reproduce fresh sources of ADAM. However, these girls were changed, ghastly looking with glowing yellow eyes, and a creepy demeanor, as if they were in an entirely different world. A fate he wouldn't wish on any child. But without ADAM there was sure to be riots.

"What about them?"

Gil continued to tinker away behind the suit. "Well, since we've been sending out small children into the city by themselves, it hasn't proven to be the...well, the safest options for the Little Sisters."

"You think you would have learned sooner..." Henry muttered under his breath.

"Anyways, I've come up with an astounding new project, a rather ingenious idea, if I do say so myself."

"Hey, I had a little play in it too." Will chimed in.

Gil poked his head over, his forehead stained with oiled fingerprints. "Of course William! Henry and you will both be given due credit for your invaluable assistance. In any case, the idea I've cooked up is to give the Little Sisters a...partner, you could call it. A protector, to keep them safe and secure as they traverse Rapture."

Henry raised an eyebrow. "And these so called protectors are going to wear a heavy diving suit while walking around?"

Gil waved a hand for William to help him. "Think of it as a kind of uniform. Burly and intimidating, making sure to tell others to stay clear. Of course there will be other factors in making up the candidates for the protector program. Neural stabilizers, genetic modifications, top of the line strength and combat tonics, a veritable one man army!"