Scott's Last Chance

Since the faculty Christmas party, Scott and Carol have been spending an awful lot of time together, getting to know one another and possibly falling for one another. Charlie on the other hand wasn't aware of this until one night when he and his friends decided to "visit" their school principal. It was just an innocent prank, throwing snowballs at the window until the principal came out to yell at them. To Charlie's surprise, he heard his father calling out to the 'hooligans' messing in Principal Newman's property. He didn't know whether to be happy for his dad finding a Mrs. Claus or angry at the fact he chose someone like his own school principal. Many thoughts and emotions ran through the teenager's mind, leaving the scene with his friends so he wouldn't get caught and talk about it to his dad when he came back.

Scott and Carol didn't suspect a thing as they got cozy in the living room, drinking eggnog and enjoying each other's company. The man thought it was time to cut clean, the moment he had to tell Carol who he was. He knew that she may or may not believe him, but Scott knew he couldn't keep this from her forever. Without a moment to lose, Scott took a deep breath and presented himself to her. "Carol, there are somethings about me you should know" he said, "Some personal things"
"Oh, we don't need to rush things, Scott" she said
"I think you need to know these things"
Carol wasn't sure where the conversation was going, but decided to listen to his confession. Scott hesitates to speak before bringing up what happened at the faculty Christmas party. "You remember the mistletoe, how it just showed up?" he asked, "And the sleigh. How magical it was? Secret Santa Claus? That was me. Well not the mistletoe, that was my daughter Merry"

Carol looked confused as Scott moved closer to her
"I'm not this size much. I'm usually much bigger than this. I have a big white beard that's beautiful. I work a long way from home with my eldest kid. When I get back home, I sleep for long periods of time."
Carol still didn't understand what Scott was trying to tell her, thinking he was just revealing horrible habits. Scott laughed until he finally said, "I'm Santa Claus"
Carol looked confused, as if Scott had grown three heads, "What?"
Scott then went on saying that the red suit was real, The North Pole, the elves, his binding contract with Merry, and the toys. Carol shook her head in disbelief, thinking the man she liked had lost his mind. But as he went on, the woman finally had enough and said, "If you're trying to push me away, it's working"
She opens the door, which means that Scott should leave right now.
"Carol, don't make me leave" Scott begged, wanting her to hear him out, "Please"

When Carol didn't say a word, Scott knew he would never win, taking his leave before glancing at his watch. He looked up at the night sky sadly and said, "Sorry kiddo, guess I won't be coming home"
Without thinking, Scott used the last bit of his magic to create a small apology note for Carol, followed by a small Christmas present before heading to the Millers. Just when the night couldn't get any worse, Scott comes home to find a very upset teenage boy waiting for him in the living room. "Had fun on your date?" he asked bluntly, "Why her tho? Why Principal Newman of all people"
"Charlie, I'm sorry, but I don't have the energy to talk about it" said Scott, waiting to ignore the subject
"Now, I wanna talk to you, dad, please"
Scott sighed, sitting on the couch so that he and his son could have a proper talk. Charlie glared at his father, holding back his tears as he said, "How could you pick her?"
"I didn't pick her" said Scott
"You don't care anymore"
"Charlie, I care about you and your sister more than anybody else. There's a two-way street. What am I supposed to do if you don't confide to me"
"You want it? Alright, here it is"

Charlie then tells his father how other kids proudly tell that their dads are pilots, dentists, business men, and have other careers. What really upsets Charlie the most was that Scott, his own father, is the best thing of all but he couldn't tell anyone about it. He hated how his life appears normal, but it's nothing but secrets and lies. Scott felt sympathetic for Charlie, seeing how much pressure his son was under for the past 8 years, even hiding the fact that he of all people was dating his son's school principal. "I'm sorry" he apologized, "Forget about Principal Newman, alright? And forget about Santa, I'm done"
"But what about Merry?" asked Charlie, "I can't stay at the North Pole either"
"I'll have Bernard send her home. And my time's up, your sister thought of using her magic to give me some time but... I wasted my last bit of magic"
Charlie looked at his father in disappointment, leaving for his room without so much as a word.