Summer's Beginning

Maplewood Grove, New York, June 21, 1941

The summer air in Maplewood Grove had finally arrived bringing a blend of warmth and nostalgia that seemed to dance through the streets and into the hearts of its inhabitants.

Maplewood Grove was just a few hours east of Rochester. The town didn't seem to be anything special at first sight. But if you paid enough attention you would see it was actually a great place to live, and most importantly to fall in love.

Maplewood Grove's Main Street was lined with a mix of brick and wooden buildings with large windows and awnings. Most of the shops were small and family-owned. The street seemed to be always filled with the aroma of freshly baked bread. There was a small post office with a red-brick facade, a general store selling everything from groceries to hardware. The city only had one dinner, Tina's. Tina's  was a cozy diner with a jukebox and they were famous for their cream eggs.

Main street was often bustling with activity, people greeting each other warmly, and children playing on the sidewalks. There was always this sense of community, where everyone knows each other. Niall has always loved Main Street.

Although his parents had left Ireland many years ago in the hopes of finding a better future for their family, Niall never stepped a foot outside of Maplewood Grove. He didn't care. He was happy with his life there. He loved Maplewood Grove.

On this particular evening, as the sun began to dip below the horizon earlier than expected. The last rays of the sun begin to cast a golden hue over the town, that magic was palpable. It was the evening of the annual summer fair, a tradition that brought the whole community together in a celebration of unity and joy.

Niall stood near the entrance of the fair, taking in the sights and sounds that surrounded him. Set in the city's park the summer fair spreads across the green lawns,  forming rows of colorful booths lining the pathways. From were he was Niall could smell the scent of popcorn and cotton candy filling the air.

The fair was a kaleidoscope of colors and activity. He could listen to the children running around and the merry tunes of the swing music the band was playing on the stage at the far end.

Niall was beyond excited he had been looking for from this moment for months. He wore a light blue button-up shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and a pair of well-fitted brown trousers. His fair hair was neatly combed, a contrast to the slight disarray brought on by the gentle summer breeze.

One of Niall's favorite activities during fairs was to browse through the booths. As soon as he entered the fair he begin looking for the stalls, he wanted to look and taste everything available.  There was a stall with homemade pies and jams, another with handcrafted jewelry, and a games area with classic fair games like ring toss and duck fishing. He was particularly very good a ring toss and couldn't help to spend a cent or two in that stall.

As he walked along the main path, his gaze was drawn to a booth adorned with handcrafted jewelry. He paused to admire the intricate designs, each piece reflecting the care and skill of its creator. It was here, amidst the sparkle of gemstones and the soft hum of conversation, that he first saw him.

Zayn was looking at a set of silver cufflinks, his fingers delicately inspecting the craftsmanship. He seemed like he was examining every inch of the material as if looking for imperfections.

Zayn was dressed simply, yet there was an undeniable elegance about him. His white shirt clung to his frame, tucked into black slacks held up by dark suspenders. His hair was a tousled dark wave, giving him a look that was both carefree and intriguing. His eyes, thoughtful and deep, were the kind that seemed to hold many stories.