Chapter 4

𝚁𝙴𝙰𝙳 𝙰𝙵𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟸𝟹 𝙾𝙵 𝚂𝙴𝙴 𝙼𝙴
*:・゚✧*:༶•┈┈୨ ☆ ୧┈┈•༶ *:✧*:・゚

"Your favorite family member is here, JJ!" Kai's voice came muffled behind my door, making my head snap up, quickly slamming my sketchbook shut before he knocked twice.

"Wait!" I shot up from my bed when I saw the handle twist, opening my desk drawer and shoving the sketchbook with the pencil inside before closing it and going to my bed again, "come in."

The door cracked open, Kai's head popping in before he opened the door wider and leaned against the doorframe with his hands crossed, "get changed, we're taking you shopping."

"We?" I lowered my eyebrows in confusion. What the hell was he on about? We just hung out yesterday in the amusement park, why would I go shopping with Kai?

"Uncle Warner and I are going to find me something to wear because Emmaline and I are going on a date, and you're joining."

I took a deep breath after processing his words, my mind drifting to the day Uncle Warner took me to the base. The way I stormed out and how the car ride home was awfully quiet unlike the one on the way to the airport. Quiet but not at the same time. We both felt each other's emotions, but none of us said anything. I sensed how disappointed he felt, he probably felt how angry I was. I never talked to him after that, I didn't see him. And he didn't come over like he used to.

I don't know why, but I was very upset he didn't. I knew I was the one always pushing him away when he tried to help me, it's not like he was responsible for me. I remembered being frustrated when he would visit and try to talk to me, so I was supposed to be relieved now, right? He left me alone.

"I'm busy," I cleared my throat, crossing my arms. I didn't have much to do, but I don't want to know what I'd feel like if I hung out with them right now, I don't want it to be awkward, especially with Kai there. It makes him uncomfortable when there's tension between people, I'm not in the mood to sense that too, "I have homework."

"School is over tomorrow, Jett," he shrugged, "you don't care about homework when vacation is starting."

I opened my mouth then closed it, looking away, to the camera next to me with the photo of falling snow I took on Christmas on the screen. I just wanted to be alone. I didn't want to think about how I'm shutting myself out, or how I failed to do something so simple because my head is always busy, and this was the best way to do it.

This was what I always do when I'm overwhelmed, I just kept myself busy doing something. That something was me buying a sketchbook on the way home from school without Zade noticing, I would just tell him I'm going to buy some pens or something and shove the sketchbook in my bag. I drew the stuff I took pictures of. I liked doing that because it's not totally a fantasy, but it's also not totally reality. I'd draw the picture, but altar it somehow. I'd add something from my own perspective, remove something from the picture, or even replace it.

I don't know why, but I didn't want anyone to know about it, this felt like my thing, and I wanted to keep it that way. Since my mind and thoughts and feelings weren't all mine anyway right now, then at least I'll have this.

"You told Emma about my powers," I crossed my arms, switching methods. I was a little mad that he told her but then I stopped myself because I'd be ungrateful if I was annoyed with him, or with them in general. Isn't that what I wanted? Someone who cares about me being okay? Someone who will try to lift up my mood when I'm down? So I wasn't mad anymore, I was actually really happy that he told her, but he doesn't necessarily need to do that.