Chapter 8

Hi guys!

I haven't been updating this story in centuries! And for that I am terribly sorry :/ Last year was a very very busy year for me because I was just entering Uni and this will be my first year in degree, so hopefully that won't take much of my time (hope so). Anyways, inspiration hit me just now and I sat down and started typing, sorry, it might be a little rusty :P I haven't written in ages!

And just a recap of what happened previously, Misty escaped from The Orphanage and met Auric and Deveraux. They went on a run, escaping from the sisters but were caught in the middle of the forest and Deveraux was killed! (I know, it was short and terribly brief, with no whatsover emotions at all :P)

Thank you for reading my story and hope you will continually support Misty's adventure! :) 

_____________________________________________________________________________

I have seen death, it was never as peaceful as promised. 

Growing up in the Orphanage, surrounded by statues of angels and knowledge about the afterlife, I have always dreamt of visiting heaven, and wondered if I would ever have the chance, and if I would find my mother on the other end. She was magnificently beautiful from what I have been told. 

One of the sisters caught me sneaking around, reading a Holy Bible when I was just 4 years old, she  has just snarled at me and said.

"You're condemned, nothing but a rotten soul" and she snatched the sacred book from my hands, leaving me with the never dying determination of reaching for that piece of heaven, but death was never beautiful, how could something so ugly be permitted into the gates of Heaven? I could not comprehend. 

I saw how a mouse was starved to death, it  looked at me with its pleading eyes, mercifully begging me to prolong its life, the mouse died with desperation in its mind. 

I saw how the dog was abused, he had lashes just like the ones on my back, but he was not as lucky, he died in pain and vain and hatred towards the human kind. 

I wondered if any of them ever entered heaven. 

 "Misty, please, we have to go." Auric had been tugging at my hands urging me to run, but there I stood rooted in place, horrorstruck at what had just happened. 

Deveraux.

Dead.

Black mist began bursting out of the ground like thousands of volcanoes erupting at once, the ground shook and trees began to uproot and fell on each other. Judith on the other hand was laughing feverently, enjoying the devastation that she had caused. 

I acknowledged myself turning and running in the same direction as where Auric is, the car was destroyed as a huge bark fell onto it, shattering the windshield and deforming its model. 

"Faster, we have to go faster!" Auric was shouting at my ears, nervously glancing back and forth as he tried to outrun the black smoke that was chasing us. 

I really tried, but my legs caught onto a rock and I would stumble, and Auric would be there to lift me up.  

"I-I'm sss-oorry..." my voice trembled as I apologize, but as I was just about to stand up, the black smoke coiled itself onto my ankle and yanked hardly, causing me to be dragged backwards, the fallen branches and rocks cut through my skin as I was being dragged towards Judith, towards Deveraux's dead body.

"Misty!!" Auric screamed and tried to chase after me, only to have his scream cut short when one of the smoke too wrapped its tentacles around his waist and lift him above the air. 

"No!!!!" I yelled, "Let him go!!" 

An evil laughter filled the air. "This is the consequences of your own choice. Have I not tell you never to escape?" I was dragged until I was directly beneath her scrutinizing gaze.  She fisted my hair and yanked it backwards, it felt as if my entire scalp was being torn off and I cried out in pain. 

"Look at him! " she pushed my head forward. "Look at what your stupidity has cost you!" 

The black mist tighten its grip around Auric's waist and he too, yelped in pain. 

Tears began streaming down my eyes. No! Please! 

Like a snake prepared for the kill, the black smoke continued to tighten its hold and I could hear the horrible sound of bones crunching. 

"No!" my voice came out in an inaudible whisper.

"No...no...no...no..." I pleaded. I could not stand to see another death. 

"Finish him off" Sister Judith commanded and the finality in her voice infuriated me. My body shook as anger overtook my body and I pushed against the earth with a strength I didn't know existed. 

Auric yelped again and suddenly, my mind went blank, I couldn't think, I couldn't feel, all I knew was that the earth shook beneath my feet. The wind was strong and suddenly Sister Judith tensed and gasped, mist began forming and surrounded the black smoke, and they disappeared into thin air, leaving behind the echoes of deafening screams. 

I felt powerful. 

I felt as if I controlled the mist.

 At that point, I felt invincible. 

But at the same time, I was exhausted, and the addicting feeling of being powerful only lasted for seconds as I crumpled to the ground drenched in cold sweat. Yet, seconds was all I needed to banish the demons. I turned to look back, Sister Judith was gone.

Not so far away from me, I saw Auric lying down on the dirt motionless, I tried to crawl towards him, but in the end my arms gave out and my face met the cold hard ground. 

"Auric" was the last thing I whispered before I blacked out.