popcorn

TW - eating disorder

"Nick, what the fuck?"

Matt's voice rang out into the kitchen as he heard the sharp, scattering noise of many things falling to the ground. He peered his head up over the top of the couch he was laying on to see what his brother had done.

Nick stood behind the kitchen counter, close to the sink, a bowl cradled in one arm as his other reached out and downward, as if he had attempted to grab something as it fell.

"Sorry," he called back, fixing the position of his arm,"I accidentally dropped the bag of popcorn kernels."

Matt stood up from his seat on the couch and walked over to where the accident had happened. His eyes widened as he gazed at the remarkable amount of kernels that now scattered their floor.

"How did you manage to do that?" he snapped. "Is it so hard to pour something in a bowl without making a mess?"

Nick rolled his eyes, turning his back to his brother and placing the bowl he held onto the stove, turning the heat on in order to pop what he had actually managed to pour successfully.

Matt raised his eyebrows, stepping closer to Nick, carefully avoiding stepping on any of the kernels.

"Oh, so you're not going to clean it?"

Nick turned his head to look at him.

"I will, just let me get the popcorn started."

Matt scoffed, and closed the distance between him and the stove. He pushed Nick aside, turned off the heat, and leaned his back against the counter with crossed arms.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Nick asked, starting to get irritated himself.

Matt pointed at the mess on the floor, not breaking his eye contact with Nick.

"Clean up your mess, then you can make your fucking popcorn. I'm not gonna let you go on about your life when there's a fucking cornfield on our kitchen floor. We're not chickens."

Nick scoffed and reached to turn the heat back on, but quickly retracted his arm when Matt smacked his hand away. Nick looked at his hand where it stung, then back up at Matt with a glare.

"Nick. I'm serious. Clean it up."

"I will, dammit! Just let me turn the stove on so it can cook while I clean. It's called good time management, you stupid fuck," Nick snapped, going to turn the heat on once more.

At this point, Chris's head popped up over the couch to see what the fuss was about. He didn't want to interfere, though, as this was a conflict he would rather not be involved in.

Instead of slapping his hand again, Matt grabbed Nick's wrist and forcefully shoved him away from the oven.

"Clean it up! You can stuff your face with popcorn after, when you deserve it."

"Who are you to tell me when I can 'stuff my face' with popcorn," Nick finger quoted, voice raising. "I can 'stuff my face' when I want to. And in case you forgot, I'm making this for all of us like you requested!" He shoved a pointed finger at Matt.