THREE

Seated behind a pristine desk, Mr. Caddel regarded the group with an unreadable expression. The room, bathed in a soft, artificial glow, felt like a cocoon of authority. Mia, and Sam exchanged cautious glances, their minds buzzing with questions yet to be articulated.

"Thank you for joining me," Mr. Caddel began, his voice measured and composed. "Recent events have prompted me to reconsider the future leadership of the Dome. Harmony and order must persist."

A collective murmur rippled through the room, and Mr. Caddel's gaze settled upon Mia. The weight of his scrutiny felt like an invisible force.

"I have observed each of you closely," Mr. Caddel continued, "and identified qualities that are essential for the Leader of the Dome." A hushed tension permeated the room as the gravity of Mr. Caddel's words sank in. Mia's thoughts whirred with conflicting emotions. "As a part of your training, I will expose you to the intricate mechanisms that sustain the Dome. You will learn the responsibilities and the sacrifices required to safeguard our way of life," Mr. Caddel declared, his gaze unwavering.

The room awaited their response, and as Mia met the eyes of her fellow candidates, she sensed the unspoken question lingering between them –The choices made in this moment would shape not only their destinies but also the destiny of the Dome itself.

Sam, always meticulous and analytical, was the first to break the contemplative silence in the Leader's office. "Mr. Caddel, I appreciate the acknowledgment, but could you provide more details about this training? What does it entail, and how will it impact our roles within the Dome?"

Mr. Caddel inclined his head, acknowledging the inquiry. "The training will encompass a comprehensive understanding of the Dome's infrastructure, governance protocols, and strategic decision-making. You will be exposed to the intricacies of maintaining order and harmony. Your responsibilities will extend beyond the routine to ensure the continued stability of our society." He went silent for a moment, his gaze lingering on Ty as he leaned back against the wall, showing no interest. "And of course this will include knowledge of the Outer-cities and our life as it once was." Ty's gaze wandered, seemingly uninterested in the bureaucratic details of leadership.

As Sam delved into a series of pragmatic questions, Mia found herself increasingly unsettled. Her meticulously planned life within the Dome had offered a sense of security, and this unforeseen divergence from her path stirred a quiet anxiety within her. The prospect of leadership, while alluring, demanded a relinquishment of the life that she knew, and who knows if she would even succeed at such a task.

As Sam concluded his questions, Mr. Caddel fixed his gaze on the rest of the group. "Your queries are valid, and I appreciate your diligence, Sam." Mr. Caddel stepped closer. "Bethany, Ruby, Andy? Anything you'd like answered?" They all shook their heads, straighting out their posture as their Leader approached them. "Very well. Mia, can I answer anything for you?" Mia hesitated, the weight of the decision settling upon her shoulders and a conflict waged within her. The structured life she had known seemed so comfortable, yet part of her wanted to know more.

Right before Mia could speak, Ty, still seemingly disinterested, finally spoke, his words delivered with a casual detachment. "Leadership and routine have never been my forte, Mr. Caddel. I've found solace in the unpredictable, and I intend to keep it that way." Mia's eyes shifted over to him, watching him lay back further against the wall. "Besides, if you really have been watching me, why would you want to even consider me?"

"I see potential in you. Your scores are more than impressive." Ty sat up from the wall, shaking his head.

"I'm obligated to score high. If I didn't try, my parent's would be effected, we both know this." Ty took a step forward, anger in his tone. "So now you're insisting I start this program? To what, satisfy you that I'm being obedient?" His steps got closer to Mr. Caddel, his hands now in a fist at his sides.