19. It's Not Like That!

(General POV)

Alan entered the house, closing the door behind him. He walked over to the living room and dumped his bag on the couch before heading to the kitchen where he poured himself a glass of orange juice and sipped it.

'Alice Cullen...to think she'd approach me out of the blue...'

Alan couldn't get her off his mind. From the moment they made eye contact in the parking lot, she hadn't left his mind since. If it weren't for the fact that she was blatantly staring at him during lunch, and the fact that she directly approached him and asked him for her number, he wouldn't have paid as much attention as he is now.

It seemed like she was interested in him romantically but one couldn't be so sure.

'Or am I just overthinking this?'

Alan snickered to himself.

Placing the glass down, he walked over to his bag and opened the zip, taking out a file and a notebook. As he did so, his phone suddenly started ringing.

Looking at the caller ID, he grinned.

"Sup Bella," he greeted.

From the other side of the line, the girl's voice sounded, "Hey. Are you free to talk right now?"

Alan noticed her troubled tone and replied, "Sure, I'm free. Did something happen?"

There was a sigh before...

"No...I mean...not really..." Bella seemed hesitant to talk. After a brief pause, she said, "I've just been thinking, maybe I should move to Forks and live with you and Dad."

'Eh?'

Alan was surprised. Not very, since he knew she would eventually come but this was earlier than he was expecting. Holding the phone against his ear, he sat down and the table and asked, "What brought this on all of a sudden? I thought you hated Forks."

"What? No, I don't 'hate' Forks. I just...prefer the sunny weather in Phoenix," the girl replied with a small huff. Then she continued, "Anyway, I was just considering it because I feel bad for keeping Mom at home with me all the time. I know she wants to go travelling with Phil but because she can't leave me on my own..."

"I see," Alan said. A second passed before he asked, "Have you told Charlie yet?"

"No. I haven't told anyone actually. You're the first."

"Aw. I feel so touched."

Bella scoffed, "That sounds sarcastic to me."

"Hey, I was being genuine," Alan responded with a chuckle. "Well, it's totally your decision. Though, it would be cool if you could come and live here."

"Why? So you can judge my taste in music and movies again?"

"You make me sound like some kind of a bully."

"Aren't you? Jacob always complains that you play terrible pranks on him," the girl retorted.

Alan snorted, "My pranks are harmless. And how come you're still in contact with that doofus?"

"Don't call him that," Bella scolded, but Alan could tell she was grinning. "And we only email each other now and again."

"Yeah yeah, whatever. Just know that he still has a crush on you," Alan said, rolling his eyes. "I doubt he's confessed though."

"Seriously Alan! I'm telling you, you've got it wrong. Jacob likes me as a sister! He said so himself," the girl groaned.

'A sister?' Alan thought incredulously. 'Did the guy just brother-zone himself?'

He resisted the urge to facepalm.

On the other side of the line, Alan heard a woman's voice calling Bella - probably her mother.

"Whoops, gotta go. Hey, I'll talk to you soon," Bella said.

"Let me know when you've made a decision," Alan replied.

"Yup. Bye!"

And she hung up the call.

****

"You said you like her as a sister?!"

The moment Jacob entered the house, Alan burst out laughing like a lunatic. Instantly, the shifter's face turned red in embarrassment.

"Shut up! I-I panicked alright?! And how do you know?"

Alan wiped away a tear, and rolled his eyes, "What do you mean? Obviously, she told me."

"Yeah, but why? What were you two talking about for that to be brought up?" Jacob walked into the living room, taking off his jacket in the process.

Hearing his question, Alan sobered up and coughed.

"Um...n-nothing important...just..." he mumbled something under his breath.

A second later, Jacob exploded, "You what?!"

As the shifter stalked toward him dangerously, Alan sucked in his lips and backed away before putting his hands up in surrender.

"I just let it slip?"

"Are you asking or telling me?"

"...Both?"

"..."

Jacob's face contorted as he shouted, "You friggin' piece of shit!" before tackling the other to the floor.

"Ack! Mercy! Mercy!"

The two teenagers began a wrestling match on the ground with Jacob doing his best to pin down Alan and the latter fighting back for dear life.

Of course, neither one of them was actually serious.

However, when Charlie walked in through the front door and saw them in such a compromising position, the atmosphere suddenly became awkward.

The older male coughed and averted his eyes, "Not that I don't respect your choices...but please do it in privacy. Or better yet, wait till you're older."

Jacob and Alan looked at each other before scrambling apart in horror.

"It's not like that!" they exclaimed in unison.

"Woah, don't worry. I won't judge," Charlie held up his hands.

Alan's eye twitched, "No, seriously Charlie. It's really not-"

"We're not like tha-" Jacob tried to say.

As the two desperately defended themselves, Charlie nodded as though he understood. He said, "Alright alright. Calm down. I'm just messing with you two."

That's when the two boys noticed a sly smirk on the Chief's face. Charlie continued to say, "But the way you two tried to defend yourselves makes me think it was true after all."

Alan and Jacob; "Absolutely NOT!"

After Charlie left the room, the two boys looked at each other and shivered. Silently, they made a pact to never wrestle like that again.

...At least not in front of Charlie.