Part Nine

"Thank you so much for coming on such short notice!" Hermione said enthusiastically, herding Emilie through the door. "My mum would have done it, but was scheduled to work in the clinic."

"Of course, any time!"

Emilie was only a few years younger than Hermione, but could be trusted to handle things should the occasion arise. She was a muggle and the perfect companion for Charlotte.

"So where is ma amie?" Emilie was also a French student.

"She is in her bedroom playing 'house' with her stuffies. Would you like something to eat? We have chocolates if you'd like."

The girl laughed, "No, thank you. I am vegan now."

"Oh. Well then, perhaps a cup of tea?"

"Oui, s'il vous plaît."

"Emilie?" came a very quiet voice from the bedroom.

"Yes, Cricket, Emilie's here to play with you!"

A grin spread on the child's face and she dashed through the hallway, launching herself at the older girl.

"I missed you, Charlotte! What's new?"

"Nothing. Will you play 'house' with me? Please?"

"Oui, ma chère! Miss Hermione, is there anything else?"

"No, not at all. I've left some money for you on the kitchen counter in case you need anything while I am away. Charlotte, come give Mummy a hug!"

"Mummy, you're not leaving, are you?"

"Yes, Cricket, I am. I'm going to spend time with some old friends."

"Can I come?"

Hermione knelt, planted a kiss on her child's head, and sadly shook her head. "Not this time, sweet girl. But you - " She was suddenly crushed in a hug that took her feet out from under her.

Of all the hysterics wailed by her daughter, she could manage a few strings of coherent sentences. "... Please don't leave... no, something bad will happen!" she warned.

"What? Mummy will be just fine!"

" - Something very bad!"

" - I'll be back before supper, then after, I might just let you bake biscuits."

"I don't want biscuits, I want you!"

"Cricket, you have me." Hermione shot a glance at Emilie and she took the hint to slowly approach Charlotte from behind, that way she couldn't escape. "You're going to have a fun afternoon with Emilie, I promise."

Emilie caught the unsuspecting girl around her tummy and lifted her up.

"No! Mummy, no!" She kicked and flailed, narrowly catching Hermione's chin.

"Charlotte, be good! I'll be back before you know it."

As Hermione closed the door, she heard her daughter's final attempt to keep her mum home: a ground-rattling scream that shook her to her core. She clasped a hand over her mouth and walked away before she could change her mind.

Charlotte was excellent at loving and being loved, but she didn't know how to let her mum - her protector and favourite person in the world - go. It ruptured Hermione's heart.

She Disapparated in the hallway with a crack that all the residents of the flat had grown accustomed to. She suddenly stood in good old London.

Eventually, the sadness inside her gut ebbed away alongside the receding clouds that made way for dark ones.