Part Three

It had been a couple of weeks, and Anna still hadn't told anyone but Basil about her fascination with balloons. Basil kept her secret for her, although he kept saying no-one would mind if she told them.

People were starting to have their suspicions, though. For one thing, Basil took another balloon home with him - and Stephen was very suspicious.

"Another one? Really?"

"Why not?" Basil shrugged.

"I'm just curious where you're getting them from," said Stephen.

"What's it to you?"

Basil hurried away into the bedroom, and Stephen started to plot a way to find out where, indeed, these balloons were coming from.

***

"Don't cry, Miss Anna," Basil said, putting a paw on her hand.

"But what if they find out?" Anna sobbed.

"Oh, Miss Anna, it's nothing to be ashamed of."

Anna looked into Basil's eyes. Gosh, she thought to herself, he's got lovely sparkly eyes. Then she shook her head and cleared her throat. Tears were still falling from her eyes. "Oh, Basil, what will they say?"

"I don't know, but I wouldn't worry."

Anna took one of the balloons, a blue one, by its ribbon, and immediately felt reassured by its presence. She looked up at it, and smiled for the first time since Basil got there.

"That's what I like to see," said Basil.

He's so sweet, thought Anna. She smiled at him, with his paw in her hand. It felt... good. "So I'm guessing you want another one?"

"Well," Basil sighed. "I know you're afraid of people finding out. But yes, I think it'd be nice."

"I don't wanna repeat the same thing over and over."

"But they're so beautiful, Miss Anna." Basil looked up at the balloons surrounding him.

"I know. Maybe you could stay with me for a while." Suddenly Anna's heart leapt at the thought of Basil staying with her.

"Hmmm," mumbled Basil. "I think people would be even more suspicious at that."

"Oh." Anna looked down, disappointed.

Basil sighed. This was going to be a problem.

"Well look," said Anna. "You take this." She took the blue balloon in her hand and tied it around Basil's paw.

"Are you sure you don't mind me taking it home?"

Anna sighed. "I guess they're going to find out sooner or later."

"I promise I won't tell them - that's up to you."

"But Stephen might question you again."

"I know."

They sat in silence for a while. "I tell you what," said Anna. "I'm feeling brave. We'll all meet at Anil's tomorrow, and I'll tell everyone else."

Basil looked at Anna. "Well done, Miss Anna, I'm so proud of you."

Anna sighed again. "I'm just scared." The tears started to fall again.

"Oh, Miss Anna." Basil snuggled up closer to Anna, and it made her heart skip a beat. She knew something was happening.

If what she believed was true, that would be two secrets she'd have to reveal.

Which one was going to be harder?