Smashed

"Looks like I'm not as toothless as you thought, sweetheart," Spike made a point to bear his teeth with a low growl in the back of his throat. His face was twisted, like he knew how much he was teasing her. Regardless of his feelings, he felt pleasure in her suffering, her face dropped as his grin widened.

"How?" Buffy replied softly.
"Don't you get it? Don't you see?" She knew the words were coming before they left his mouth. She felt her breath thicken, as she fought to control it the cold air made it evident: she was scared.

"You came back wrong."
Silence. Buffy's chest could barely contain her heart as she felt it sink. She couldn't tell if tears were welling up in her eyes or whether she was just cold. The night air left the atmosphere feeling tense, more so than usual. Goosebumps made their way slowly up Buffy's arm, she held in a shiver.

Spike's face turned suddenly, from its usual mocking evil to pure rage. His brows furrowed as he let out another growl. Buffy suddenly felt herself backed against a wire fence, small sharp wires jutting out from the poor construction.

"It's a trick," Buffy said between hard breaths, "you did something to the chip. It's a trick," she doubted the words even as they escaped her. She begged for this to be some twisted joke or bad dream, her eyes pleaded with him.
"It's no trick," a smile crept across his face, suddenly she saw him again, not the man who fell in love with her, not the man who fought by her side, not the man who risked his life to protect her sister; but the monster who wanted her dead. His eyes had lost all sense of humanity.

"It's not me, it's you. Just you in fact, that's the funny part." He reared his head and struck Buffy. She fell back into the wire fence and let out a soft yelp.
"You're the one that's changed," another punch, "that's why this doesn't hurt me," as Spike pulled back his arm for another swing, Buffy grabbed it, she debated whether or not to hit him back but decided instead to attempt to reason with him. She was disoriented by his lack of empathy, his lack of humanity, everything that made him the man she knew was gone.

"Came back a little less human than you were?" Spike teased.

"You're wrong," Buffy replied, not knowing if she believed what she was saying, she just hoped Spike believed her.

They broke out of civility, trading punches and profanities. Buffy grabbed hold of Spike's duster and threw him into one of the buildings surrounding them. He struggled to keep his footing and Buffy came back in for another hit, as her fist connected he fell through the door of the building. A searing pain crept up his back as he landed on the hard wooden floor.

Buffy stepped through the now broken door and pounced.
As Spike stumbled getting up she noticed he still wore the same evil smile.
"Oh, poor, little, lost girl," He began, chuckling to himself.
Buffy hated his words, he always spoke such truth, it frightened her. She looked at him an innocence in her eyes.

I'm really getting to her. He thought. His eyes widened as he reached for the chandelier hanging from the ceiling. The roof was cracked, dust raining down, but still he jumped. The chandelier swung and as he jumped off, he made sure his boots connected with Buffy's face. She reeled back from his kick, wishing he wore something softer than doc Martins.

She fell to the ground.
"She doesn't fit in anywhere," He said as he grabbed her. She broke free of his grip and pushed him back.
"She's got no one to love,"

"Me?" Buffy replied, feeling herself getting hot with anger. "I'm lost? Look at you, you idiot; poor Spikey! Can't be a human, can't be a vampire, where the hell do you fit in?" She gritted her teeth.
Spike thought for a minute, slightly hurt by her harsh words, not that he didn't deserve them. He lunged for another punch, but Buffy ducked and hit him square in the gut. He shriveled, winded by her punch, as he felt two hands firmly on his back. Buffy took hold of him and threw him into a fireplace that stood centre of the main room.