chapter 3

-𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 3-

𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔤𝔞𝔰𝔩𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔫𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔪𝔞𝔯𝔢𝔰 𝔠𝔬𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫𝔲𝔢

"Dad! You talked to her five times in one week. She called you an irresponsible father, how do you not remember that?"

Paige watched her brother from the doorway sympathetically. It'd been a day since the field trip and still everyone was denying the fact that Mrs Dodds had ever existed. In fact, they'd even gone as far as hiring a new blond woman to take her place on the coach home.

Only Percy knew who they were talking about, and it made her wonder if they were really playing a practical joke.

I mean, why would Mr Brunner call her dad to make sure he didn't spoil it to his kids?

And although she had her doubts, Nicholas and Percy were still convinced everyone was lying.

"I have no idea who you're talking about, Nik. I'm sorry. How long has it been since you slept, when you called the other day, you looked like a zombie. Maybe you're just tired?"

She watched as he rolled his eyes, still unaware of her presence. Technically, she wasn't supposed to be there. Boys and girls weren't supposed to go in each other's dorms, but they made exceptions for the twins.

"Oh yeah sure, and Paige and Percy? Are they just tired too?"

The twins listened as their dad sighed. 

"Listen, Nik, maybe it's best if you started going to Ms Benns again. I know she helped when you started seeing those things before, maybe she can help now."

It looked like he was about to either burst out into furious rage, or exhausted tears. 

She couldn't normally tell.

"Just for her to tell its all in my head? That I need to think happy thoughts and they'll go away. She thinks I'm crazy dad!"

He pulled the phone away from his ear, allowing a pleading "Nik!" to echo around before he hung up.

Paige chewed her lip, suddenly scared to knock. 

That was, until, her twin broke out into loud sobs.

She immediately ran in, embracing him in her wool covered arms. He never really cried. Ever. At least in front of anyone. She assumed it was just because he was tired. She knew he hadn't slept in days, but couldn't do anything to help him. 

"Shh, shh, it's okay." 

After a few minutes of rubbing his back and whispering quiet comforting words, she realised he wasn't crying anymore. 

His harsh sobs turned into deep breaths, and his caramel eyes were closed tight.

Sleeping.

Paige released him from her hold and let him lie on the bed, covering him with the blanket the school provided. 

She looked at him for a moment, enjoying how peaceful he seemed. No worry lines on his forehead, his eyebrows weren't creased. The girl was happy that he finally passed out, maybe it would help him think clearer. 

Sighing softly, she left the room and walked down the halls, hoping to go to her room and sleep herself. Instead, her gaze fell upon a black-haired boy going to his room.

His eyes moved to her, relief filling them. 

"Paige. Where's Nicholas?"

He was used to seeing them together, even so late at night.